These Chickpea Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are a delicious way to have a sweet treat with a nutty flavor and melted dark chocolate, without any grains, dairy, or eggs!
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Would you believe me if I told you that you could have a totally “clean” cookie and it would taste great? Well, I’m here to do just that. These healthy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are awesome and, dare I say, good for you!
You will not believe what they are made of… no grain, no gluten, no eggs, and no dairy. So what on earth are they made out of? Would you believe me if I told you they were made out of chickpeas?! You know, the stuff hummus is made out of. Weird I know. The recipes come from my friend Erin over at Texan Erin Baking. She is the ultimate healthy, clean, allergen-free baker. If the recipe wasn’t on her site I never would have tried it, but I know she’s an awesome baker and so I felt like it was safe to try. You guys, they were great.
If you are looking for a bit of a healthy treat while you are eating clean, these cookies are for you. Every woman needs chocolate in her life. These would be great to make for someone that doesn’t eat gluten or has other food allergies. I’ve made my father-in-law (who is gluten-free) gluten-free cookies before and these are 10 times better than that. Just make sure the chocolate chips you use are OK.
If you don’t have any chickpeas available, I also love this healthy peanut butter cookie recipe.
Can I store chickpea cookies like normal cookies?
Yes! These are best stored in an airtight container but can also be frozen and thawed out to enjoy a different time.
Which chocolate chips should I use?
Any chocolate chips make a great addition to this cookie. If you are looking to stay on the healthier side, darker chocolate chips have less sugar than milk chocolate. You can also explore sugar-free options.
Can I use normal peanut butter instead of natural?
Not all peanut butter is made the same, so if you swap natural peanut butter for regular peanut butter, they can have a different consistency and thickness. You can use non-natural peanut butter, but you might get different consistency of cookie in the end.Print
These Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are a delicious way to have a sweet treat with a nutty flavor and melted dark chocolate, without any grains, dairy, or eggs!
- 1–1/4 cups canned chickpeas, well-rinsed and then dried (paper towel works great)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the chickpeas, vanilla, peanut butter, honey, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Mix or pulse the chocolate chips into the mixture. The dough will be sticky.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass or measuring cup. The cookies won’t change shape much when baking. Place the balls on a baking mat or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool a few minutes on the baking sheet and then remove them and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Store the cookies in an air-tight container and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cookie, chickpea, healthy, peanut butter, chocolate chip, recipe, healthy dessert, dessert,
I ordered this from King Arthur Flour online. They are super dark (72% cocoa) which in my mind makes them healthy. And the super-thin disks melt amazingly well. They are my snack of choice, straight out of the bag!
If you have questions about making this vegan, substituting things (different beans, using a chickpea flour, etc) head on over to Erin’s blog post: The Original Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites Recipe (aka Chickpea Cookies). She is the cookie ninja and has lots and lot of comments, tips, and thoughts about this recipe. She’s the go-to for questions on this!
More Healthy Treats:
- 3 Ingredient Healthy Fruit Dip
- Healthy Homemade Granola
- Healthy Honey Coconut Granola Recipe
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Healthy Applesauce Cookies
- The Best Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies
- Healthy Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Flourless Chocolate Torte Recipe
- Rich and Fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
This post was originally published in 2014 and has been updated on July 2019.
Chickpea Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with chickpeas and have no gluten, dairy, or eggs. This rich dessert will leave you satisfied without feeling guilty if you eat a few extras.