This Greek inspired Quinoa Salad includes bell peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, olives and a delicious homemade salad dressing. It’s colorful, fresh, and easy.
Quinoa salad makes a great simple side dish or can be hearty enough to be eaten as a main dish. The flavors are delicious and quinoa is packed with nutrients to boot!
Quinoa is a great base for making salads. It is so versatile and adds a yummy, nutty texture. Adding quinoa to a salad helps to add a little bulk. It is nutritious and will help you stay full longer.
This quinoa salad makes the perfect side dish or it can be eaten as a main dish too. You can easily add chicken to this salad if you are going to make it as your main dish.
Is Quinoa better for you than rice?
I love to use quinoa because it has more protein and fiber than if you were to use white rice. It has a lower glycemic index so it won’t spike your blood sugar as much either. Quinoa is richer in minerals such as iron, calcium, and potassium.
Do I need to rinse quinoa before cooking?
I like to rinse quinoa just before cooking. Quinoa has a coating called saponin. If not rinsed, that coating can give off a bitter taste. A quick rinse will take care of that.
How long does quinoa last in the fridge?
Quinoa is best eaten fresh, but it can last for up to a week in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.
Can you make quinoa salad ahead of time?
This is an excellent salad to make ahead of time. It gets more delicious with a few hours under its belt, and kept well overnight. It works well at a picnic or potluck (no mayonnaise!) and is great to have on hand for a hearty, delicious lunch when you need one.
Can I substitute quinoa for something else?
Not a quinoa fan? You could certainly toss this into some cooked rice or orzo pasta, or skip the grains entirely and toss the lot with several big handfuls of greens. Can’t get enough of feta? Feel free to add a bit. Whatever you fancy.
Is Quinoa healthy?
Yes! Quinoa has double the protein of rice which will keep you full longer. It is also high in fiber, antioxidants and minerals. Total win!
More salad recipes:
- Deli-Style Broccoli Salad
- How to Make Homemade Salad Dressing: 9 Easy Recipes
- 4 ingredient Pistachio Salad
- Classic Potato Salad Recipe
- Healthy One Pot Quinoa Taco Casserole
Think Greek Quinoa Salad is high in protein and will keep you full for hours. Perfect side salad for any occasion.
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (makes roughly 3 cups cooked)
- 1 baby cucumber or 1/2 large cucumber, sliced
- 1/2–1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2–3/4 cup baby tomatoes, halved
- 1/2–3/4 cup baby spinach, torn or sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sliced olives (Kalamata or black olives)
- 2–4 tablesppons finely minced red onion
- a few pepperoncini for garnish, sliced if you like
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey (more or less, to taste)
- 1–2 small cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, prepare the quinoa. Rinse quinoa in a strainer, then add to a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add a lid to the pot and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or till water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool a bit.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk the dressing together.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a liquid measuring cup or small bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Taste and add additional honey, oregano, salt or pepper to taste.
- When quinoa is slightly cooled, toss it with the vinaigrette, cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, spinach, and olives.
- Add a few peperoncinis for good measure, and refrigerate until the whole mixture is nice and chilled.
- Serve cold as a side or main dish.
- This is the most flexible salad ever and I LOVE IT! Add more veggies, add ones you have or like, don’t add what you don’t like. Sometimes if I’m not wanting to put the dressing together I’ll just use a bottle vinaigrette, so easy! Make it your own and love every minute of it.
- Category: Side
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: Serves 5 as a side
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 10.1g
- Sodium: 59.7mg
- Fat: 7.6g
- Carbohydrates: 45.1g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0.3mg
Keywords: Quinoa, Healthy, Greek Salad, Side Dish, Vegan, Vegetarian, quinoa salad, quinoa recipe, quinoa salad recipe, how to make quinoa salad
Want To Save This Recipe?
I hope you give this Quinoa Salad that is packed with vegetables a shot. It is healthy, fresh, and super good!