This gingerbread cake made with Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour is absolutely delicious, easy to make, and the perfect festive holiday dessert to share with loved ones by a cozy fire sipping warm mugs of apple cider.
Homemade Gingerbread Cake Recipe
Gingerbread is the flavor of the season, and I can't get enough of it all November, December, and even January long. It's SO good to munch on with cooler weather when you're bundled up by a warm fire telling stories and laughing with your favorite people, don't you think? And gingerbread cake just takes the cheer and festivity to a whole 'nother level.
This post is sponsored by Bob's Red Mill, thank you for supporting the brands I love to work with.
This one is the easiest to make, and I used one of my favorite brands ever, Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour, to make it absolute perfection (if I do say so myself). The cake itself is just loaded with color and flavor, so much so that you'll be tempted to have a few slices in one sitting. Plus, you can top it with a simple homemade caramel and whipped cream to turn it into a real show stopper that's not at all fussy to prep and serve.
I think this is the perfect dessert to take to a party or serve to guests in your own home all season long. And you won't be disappointed using Bob's Red Mill flour -- the quality of their products are always impeccable and create the best baked goodies ever. And this cheery gingerbread cake is no exception. It's truly divine, and you need it in your life this holiday season!
Thomas and I first had gingerbread in Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada when we're visiting last fall and have loved it ever since.
I like this recipes because it isn't a fussy cake. It's a bit like a quick bread, it's simple and turns out well.
And I love working with Bob's Red Mill. I've been a fan of theirs for years and go through so much flour I started buying it in 25 pound bags and keeping it in a bucket in my pantry.
What's in gingerbread cake?
Gingerbread cake is a spiced cake that has lots of great flavor thanks to molasses in the batter. It's served with a simple caramel sauce and fresh whipped cream and is an easy to make cake that is elegant enough to serve to guests.
How do you serve gingerbread cake?
You can serve gingerbread cake on its own, with homemade caramel sauce and whipped cream, or with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. You can't go wrong however you serve it!
How long does gingerbread cake last?
Store gingerbread cake covered in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days.
How long does it take to make gingerbread cake?
About an hour total. The cake batter isn't fussy, you just mix a few simple things together and then it bakes. You can serve it warm or at room temperature and it's a great cake to make ahead of time to cut down on day-of holiday cooking.
This gingerbread recipe made with Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour is absolutely delicious, easy to make, and the perfect festive holiday dessert to share with loved ones by a cozy fire sipping warm mugs of apple cider.
For the cake:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 ½ cups Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Bob's Red Mill aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very hot water
For the simple vanilla caramel sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- fresh whipped cream , for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. and grease or butter a 9x13 inch baking dish well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
- Add the molasses and egg and stir to combine well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Stir to combine well.
- Add the hot water a little at a time while stirring until a soft batter forms, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake springs back lightly when touched.
- To make the vanilla caramel, add the sugar, butter, and heavy whipping cream to a medium sauce pot and place it over medium heat. Stirring often, bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer for 3-5 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature with warm vanilla caramel sauce and fresh whipped cream.
- You can make the cake a day ahead of time as needed.
- You can make this cake easier to serve to a crowd by turning it into a "poke cake". Just poke the top of the cake with a fork all over while warm and then drizzle with top with the warm caramel. When the cake cools or just before serving, top with fresh whipped cream all over the top and then cut and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gingerbread, gingerbread cake, caramel cake, Christmas cake
Other cake recipes you’ll love:
- Lemon Chiffon Cake
- Rich and Fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- The Best Easy Apple Cake
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Caramel Frosting
- Watermelon Cake with Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Whole Wheat Honey Cake
- Grandma Shoaf’s Quick and Easy Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Quick and Easy Vanilla Sheet Cake
More recipes using Bob's Red Mill products:
- Extra Protein Oatmeal Bites
- 8 No-Bake Oatmeal Energy Balls
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- 3 Ingredient No Bake Muesli Bites
- Golden & Sweet Homemade Cornbread Recipe (they have a great medium grind Organic cornmeal we love)
I love to hear what you are excited to bake this holiday season! Do tell! What's on your must make list and what's something new you'd like to try?
Homemade gingerbread cake is a cheery and easy dessert to serve at holiday gatherings and celebrations that everyone will simply love.