Fill your dinner plate with flavor with this easy, saucy, ultra-savory, just a bit tangy and sweet General Tso’s chicken recipe, perfect over rice with a bit of green onion and sesame seeds!
For the chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil, for pan frying
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Sesame seeds for garnish, optional
For the sauce:
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste OR 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on your heat preference)
- In a shallow bowl, combine cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in cornstarch mixture and tap off excess. You can also put the chicken and cornstarch mixture in a large plastic bag or container and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken pieces in batches, using a few tablespoons of oil to cook each batch. The chicken will no longer be pink in the middle when cooked, about 6 minutes per batch.
- Make sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mixing well.
- Return chicken to skillet and pour in sauce.
- Stirring occasionally, cook over medium heat until thickened, about 3 minutes. Top with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over rice with your favorite stir fried veggies.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: general tso's chicken recipe, easy chicken dinner, how to make gerneal tso's chicken, homemade general tso's chicken