Frozen smoothie packs make smoothies so easy when you already have everything portioned out and frozen. Just add almond milk and you’re done! This smoothie recipe is the best make-ahead breakfast for the upcoming week!
Make-Ahead Freezer Smoothie Pack Breakfasts
I’ve ween working on this post for weeks and I can’t wait for you to read it today. How to make freezer smoothie bags (the easiest smoothies ever!) is going to make your life just a little bit easier and just a little bit healthier. I started making these smoothie freezer bags a few months ago and they have totally changed my smoothie game!
Here are the details on freezer smoothie bags. You essentially put everything you need for your smoothie, minus the liquid, into a plastic baggie and you pop the whole things in the freezer. When you want to make a smoothie you just add the contents of one bag to your blender, add one cup of milk (I like Almond Breeze), and then blend until smooth. I’m working with Blue Diamond today, specifically their Almond Breeze almond milk, and I couldn’t be more excited. It’s a staple in my house and you can find all kinds of their products in my kitchen right now.
What you put into your freezer smoothie bags is up to you! You have a lot of wiggle room which means you can use what you have on hand, what is in season, what is on sale, or what you know you are going to love. I highly encourage adding greens to your smoothie bags because I’m all about eating more vegetables and I love green smoothies. If you aren’t ready to try that yet, you don’t have to though!
When the craving hits add the contents of one bag and one cup of almond milk to the jar of your blender and blend until smooth. Easy! Healthy meal prep makes reaching your goals just one step closer and this little trick is going to become a staple in your house!
What is the Formula to a Great Smoothie Bag?
1-2 cups greens: Swiss chard, kale, and spinach are my go-to greens. If you can get the small “baby” versions of these greens they’ll be more tender and mild. Baby spinach is the mildest of them all and if you are new to the green smoothie game I’d start with a little of that first.
1-2 cups fruit: I put at least a half of banana in every smoothie bag because bananas are sweet and they add a really great creamy texture. I think every smoothie needs a banana! After that, you are free to use what you have, what is in season, and what is on sale.
Extras: Here are a few things that you might want to add to your smoothie freezer bags for added health and/or flavor benefits: Nut butter, chia seeds, hemp seed hearts, half an avocado, cacao nibs, flax seed, raw shelled nuts, spirulina, honey, greek yogurt, or maple syrup. I normally add a few tablespoons of assorted extras.
Milk for blending: I use Almond Breeze almond milk for blending and it’s delicious. If you are new to smoothies I would get the vanilla flavored Almond Breeze because it is lightly sweetened and makes the smoothie sweeter. I enjoy the unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk and at 60 calories per cup, its a vitamin and mineral-packed punch without adding too many calories. Just about any milk/liquid will work if needed.
How Can I Make the Smoothies Easier to Blend?
When chopping up fruits and veggies for the smoothie, smaller pieces are easier to blend. You can also leave out any thick stems, peels, skins, and anything else that may make it harder to blend together. The last way is to add more liquid to thin out the smoothie. A little more milk makes it much easier.
How Can Smoothie Packs Help With Meal Prep?
You can prep a whole bunch of smoothie freezer bags at once and the work is all done. I normally make 6-8 at a time. Make the mess once, enjoy for days. It’s amazing how many more times I’ll go for a smoothie for breakfast or a snack because the work is already done. Convenience is so powerful (and handy!)Print
Freezer Smoothie Bags make smoothies so easy when you already have everything portioned out and frozen. Just add almond milk and you’re done! This smoothie recipe is the best make-ahead breakfast for the upcoming week!
- 1–2 cups greens
- 1 cup fruit
- Extras (hemp seed hearts, chia seeds, cacoa nibs, flaxseed)
- 1 cup Almond Breeze almond milk
- Add all of the smoothie ingredients to a bag, close, and freeze (see post for details, tips, and tricks).
- When you are ready to make a smoothie add the contents of one freezer smoothie bag plus 1 cup almond milk to the jar of you blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy right away.
- It’s the perfect way to use up fruits or vegetables before they get old. Did you buy a big bag of greens and they are starting to get a little old? Normally half that bag would slowly turn to slime in the vegetable drawer, but this way you can use it! Make a whole bunch of freezer smoothie bags before your greens get old. The same thing goes for old bananas… the ones that are starting to get old taste extra sweet in a smoothie. I waste so much less now that I make these bags!
- The smoothies taste better because they are extra cold because everything is frozen.
- You don’t have to have a high-powered blender to enjoy these (though they are wonderful…). Just cut your smoothie ingredients into smaller pieces for easier blending! I’d keep most pieces under an inch square in size if using a traditional blender.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smoothie recipes, green smoothie recipes, frozen smoothie recipe, vegetable smoothie recipe, fruit smoothie recipe, healthy smoothie recipe, make ahead breakfast recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
Some Possible Smoothie Combinations
More Smoothie Recipes to Try:
- Orange Pineapple Banana Smoothie
- Workout Recovery Smoothie
- 8 Simple Smoothie Recipes to Liven Up Your Day
- Healthy Pumpkin Protein Smoothie
- Healthy Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie
- Postpartum Recovery Smoothie
- Healthy Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- Cold Killer Smoothie
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie (no weird powder needed)
- Sour Cherry and Pomegranate Detox Smoothie
- Clean and Healthy Tropical Smoothie
- Guilt-Free Strawberry Milkshakes and an Easy Cherry Berry Smoothie
This post was originally published in 2016 and has been updated in July 2019.
Make yourself a week’s worth of Frozen Smoothie Packs for the easiest and most convenient way to have a cold drink with vegetables hidden inside. Add almond milk and you’re done!