Braided Bread looks just as beautiful as it tastes. It is flavored with honey and has the most perfect texture from the bulgur- which I’ll tell you more about!
Have you ever heard of bulgar wheat?! Well, if you haven’t it is your lucky day. Bulgar is a type of whole grain that has been cracked, cleaned, steamed, dried and then ground into different sizes. It is chuck full of vitamins, minerals, and lots of fiber. Plus, it gives bread a fabulous texture. I use Bob’s Red Mill brand that can be found in the specialty flour aisle of most grocery stores.
Cracked Wheat Braided Bread
One of the greatest pleasures in life is the smell of a fresh loaf of bread. That smell immediately takes me back to memorable times in the kitchen and spending time with loved ones. I truly want everyone to have the knowledge and confidence to make homemade bread. It is such a gift and I know you can master it!
Braided bread is such a lovely bread to serve with soups or pasta all winter long. The braided aspect just takes this bread over the top! It is also so fun for kids to help in the kitchen and braid the dough.
This braided bread recipe is made using bulgar wheat. Bulgar wheat is very versatile and has many uses. It is healthy, can prevent heart disease, and will give you energy to do anything you have set out to do. It is rich in vitamin, minerals, and our favorite to keep things moving-fiber! Bulgar is made from wheat and it does contain gluten so if you have gluten sensitivities this isn’t for you.
Can any bread be braided?
You can make braid almost any types of bread dough. Experiment with it- the result is so beautiful.
Why does my braided bread split?
If you find that your braided bread is splitting, you most likely need to braid the dough tighter. After some practice you will be a pro bread braider.
How do you keep homemade bread fresh?
The best way to ensure that your bread stays fresh is to wrap the loaf in plastic wrap or an airtight bag. Homemade bread will stay fresh this way for 3-5 days.
Is bulgur wheat healthy?
Bulgur wheat has many health benefits. It is full of fiber, magnesium, and iron. It is minimally processed making it able to maintain the nutritional value more than other wheats.
More bread recipes:
- Mom’s 4 Loaf Wheat Bread Recipe
- Jolyn’s Extra Soft White Bread Recipe
- Mom’s Jumbo Dinner Rolls
- My Favorite Go-To Sourdough Bread Recipe
If you’ve tried this braided bread recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
Soft, chewy, and little bit sweet this cracked wheat braided bread is the perfect hearty bread to go with any soup or stew this winter.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- ¾ cup bulgur
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cup bread flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons shortening or softened butter
- ¾ cup warm water
- In bowl of your stand mixer mix warm water and honey together.
- Add bulgur and whole wheat flour.
- Mix together and then let the mixture sit for 40 minutes. This helps the cracked wheat to soften up.
- After the 40 minutes, add the remaining ingredient to mixer bowl.
- With dough hook attachment mix until completely combined and smooth. About 10 minutes. Do not under mix here, the mixing allows the gluten to develop and will help hold your bread together.
- Place tea towel over the bowl and let rise for at least 2 hour or until doubled in size (be patient here, it takes longer for whole grain doughs to rise).
- Turn dough out on to a lightly floured work surface.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Divide one half of the dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log about 12 inches long
- Pinch the ends of the pieces together and braid the bread logs together.
- Once done with the braid tuck both ends under so all the ends are on the bottom (this helps the braid to stay together, just tuck and inch of the end under).
- Divide second half into 6 equal pieces
- Make 2 small braids in the same way you made the larger braid OR you can make another loaf from three bread braid strands the same size as the first loaf.
- Place the braided bread on a baking sheet dusted lightly with cornmeal.
- Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake the loaves at 400 degrees F.
- The smaller loaves bake for 25 minutes, and bake the larger loaf for 35-40 minute or until golden brown.
- Once out of oven brush top with melted butter.
- The cracked wheat leaves little chewy bits in the bread and the texture is delightful and toothsome.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/12
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 438.8mg
- Fat: .7g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6g
- Protein: 4.9g
Keywords: cracked wheat bread, bulgur bread, bread with bulgur, whole wheat bread, braided bread recipe. how to make braided bread
Aside from the health benefits of cooking with bulgur, you will love the taste and look of this Braided Bread. It makes a great side for most dishes and it is so fun to make.