on Jan 26, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Powerful, bold, and a little bit spicy, this Cajun Seasoning is the best blend of everyday spices. If you are looking for a flavorful and versatile spice blend then this seasoning mix is for you!
Cajun seasoning is one of my favorite blends to use in cooking because of its versatility and vibrant flavor. My cajun seasoning is simple and only takes a few minutes to make. The sweetness of the paprika, earthiness of the oregano, and savoriness of the garlic powder work with the other spices to create a delicious blend of spices that is full of flavorful layers.
One of my favorite things about this dish is how easy it is to double or triple. We like to make a big batch of this spice mix so we can have it on hand for a few months at a time. I also like that you can control how much of each spice you include, so you can customize it to your exact taste preference! After trying this blend, you’ll see how versatile it is and might find yourself reaching for cajun seasoning almost every time you cook!
Table of Contents
- Paprika—This is the base of your blend for a subtle sweet and peppery taste.
- Chipotle Chili Powder—Adds a smoky flavor and brings a little bit of heat.
- Dried Oregano—For an earthy taste.
- Garlic Powder—Adds a bold, savory flavor to the seasoning blend.
- Onion Powder—Or dried minced onion.
- White Pepper— Amplifies the earthy flavor of the oregano.
- Salt— We like to use coarse sea salt, but any salt will work.
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
1. Measure out all the ingredients for cajun seasoning.
2. Whisk all of the spices together in a small bowl. and make sure that the spices are evenly distributed.
3. Make sure that the spices are evenly distributed. You don’t want any spice clumps in your blend.
4. Store until ready to use. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have ever purchased cajun seasoning at the store then you may have noticed that there are a few different blends to choose from. Some are spicier than others, so what you pick or make all comes down to your preference. Usually a spicier seasoning will have more paprika and chipotle chili powder. If you only like a little bit of heat, you can slightly adjust the amount of those two spices, but if you love the heat then feel free to make it spicier and add some more!
Yes! You should be able to find premade cajun seasoning at any of your local grocery stores. However, I prefer a homemade blend of this seasoning because I can adjust the taste to my exact preferences. I also love that the flavors are more bold and powerful when I make my own spice mix. Mixing your own blends at home is a great way to level up the taste of your meal. But if you are short on time, you can find cajun seasoning premade at the store!
- If you don’t have white ground pepper, then feel free to omit it. Your cajun seasoning will still have a wonderful taste! It is a more obscure ingredient, but you should be able to find it in the spice aisle of your local grocery store.
- You can use either smoked or regular paprika in this recipe!
- While some cajun seasoning recipes call for freshly minced garlic, we like to use garlic powder to ensure we have completely fried spices in our blend to increase the longevity of the seasoning mix!
- Make sure that your storage container is completely sealed when you store it! Any air that gets into the container will cause the spice mix to slowly lose flavor and go stale more quickly.
How to Use Your Cajun Seasoning
There are a variety of ways in which you can use your cajun seasoning. From dry rubs to sauces, how you use your seasoning mix is really up to you. Here are some of our favorite application for this blend if you are in need of some ideas:
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of seasoning to a simple bechamel sauce for a creamy, spicy cajun sauce.
- Coat a few chicken breasts in this spice mix before cooking them in a lightly oiled pan for some spicy grilled chicken.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cajun seasoning on top of your favorite salad or pasta dish.
- Add some seasoning to a bag of popcorn for a fun, unique snack.
How to Store Cajun Seasoning
The best way to store your cajun seasoning is in an airtight Rubbermaid container, or a mason jar with a tight fitting lid. Be sure to store it in a cool, dry place. This blend will be good in your pantry for about 3 months.
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white pepper
- Whisk all of the spices together in a small bowl. Make sure that the spices are evenly distributed and thoroughly combined.
- Store until ready to use. Enjoy!
- To store your Cajun seasoning, transfer it to an airtight Rubbermaid container or a mason jar with a tight fitting lid. This spice mix can be stored for up to 3 months in a cool, dry place.
- If you don’t have white ground pepper then you can omit it. It is a more obscure ingredient but can be found on the spice aisle of your local grocery store.
- You can use either smoked or regular paprika in this recipe.
- While some Cajun seasoning recipes call for freshly minced garlic, we like to sue completely fried spices to increase the longevity of the seasoning mix.
- Add this spice mix to chicken, salad, pasta, etc.