Put buffalo chicken wraps on your menu for this week because they are easy and delicious and perfect for the whole family.
Confession: as much as I try to make things from scratch, tortillas are one thing that I don’t make regularly. Sure I’ll make a batch of homemade here and there but we eat way more tortillas than I make by hand. We are Mexican crazy and tortillas are just a store-bought staple in my life.
The other day I picked up a bag of the new Mission Super Soft Tortillas because they happened to be on sale and we really liked them. Later that week someone pointed a recipe contest using those same tortillas! I contacted the right people and now I’m totally going for a win (which is a ticket to a cool food blogger conference in Seattle this summer, accommodations included!)
I was thinking about the million things that I make with tortillas and they all seemed to fall in the general Mexican/conventional tortilla categorical. You know, burritos, tacos, enchiladas; boring and traditional, although tasty. Normal isn’t going to cut it here though, so I started thinking out of the box. I decided a wrap would be a great option because the super soft tortillas are really perfect for them. And I thought I should combine something that is trendy right now too. Hhmm. Oh yes, the beloved buffalo chicken anything. Buffalo chicken wraps had to happen and happen they did.
Here’s a few things you need to know. Franks RedHot Sauce is a must. Just get the original, it’s only a strong-mild/tame-medium in my opinion when it comes to heat. It’s very vinegary and tastes just like what a hot wing should. It was cheap too; only about $1 for the small bottle. The blue-cheese dressing is the wonderfully rich complement to all that hot vinegary sauce. I recommend making your own. I used this blue cheese dressing recipe from Mountain Momma Cooks and it was life changing. If you aren’t crazy about strong blue cheese sub it for feta. The dressing comes together in a snap and was SO good. And lastly, that super soft tortilla is really a must. It’s just right for a wrap because it holds together well but isn’t dry at all.
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Franks RedHot Original RedHot Sauce
- 1 Romain heart, chopped
- 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing
- 1 celery heart, leaves intact
- 4 Mission Super Soft Burrito-size tortillas
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Additional Blue cheese dressing and Franks Hot sauce for serving
- Heat a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Split the chicken breast in half as if you were butterflying it, but cut all the way through. The goal is to have two chicken breasts that are much thinner. Salt and pepper both sides of both pieces of chicken. Add the olive oil to the hot pan and when it starts to just barely smoke, add the chicken. Cook on the first side for 6-8 minutes until the chicken starts to get very golden brown in color. Flip the chicken over and repeat on the second side until the chicken is cooked through. Turn the heat off the pan and remove the chicken. Allow the chicken to rest on a plate for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes slice the chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. Put the sliced chicken back in the warm pan (without any heat to the pan) and add the hot sauce. Stir to combine and coat the chicken well.
- Mix 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing and the chopped Romain heart in a medium bowl to coat the lettuce well. You might need to thin the dressing with a bit of milk if it is extra thick. Cut the end off the celery heart and pick the smallest and most tender stalks out of the middle. Warm the tortillas according to the package directions.
- To assemble the wraps place one warm tortilla on a flat surface, add one forth of the dressed lettuce, a few celery stalks, one fourth of the chicken, a bit of crumbled blue cheese, and additional dressing and hot sauce to taste. Pull one end of the tortilla in and then roll from top to bottom, burrito-style and enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Wrap
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Sodium: 1940mg
- Fat: 9.8g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 12.6mg
Keywords: Buffalo Chicken, Wrap, Lunch, Dinner, Tortilla
A few more recipes you should try:
- The BEST Crispy Homemade Sweet Potato Fries
- Twice-Baked Potatoes with Bacon
- Buffalo Chicken Mac-n-Cheese
- Baked Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Thanks for stoppin’ in and try these!
Disclosure: I asked to participate in this fun contest because I had already tried and loved the new soft tortillas and I want to WIN! Mission sent me the rules and tortillas to use in making my recipe, but I wasn’t paid for the post.