Bop’s Favorite Meatloaf Recipe is a super savory and easy comfort food that’s generously flavored with onion, green bell pepper, spices, and of course, ketchup. An easy meatloaf recipe that’s sure to become a family favorite!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup soda cracker crumbs (Saltine crackers)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 bay leaf, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., and spray a large rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. You can also line the pan with foil or parchment, if you like, for easier clean up (spray any lining with cooking spray).
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, cracker crumbs, tomato sauce, onion, bell pepper, eggs, crushed bay leaf, salt, thyme, and black pepper. Stir well to combine everything evenly.
- Shape the ground beef mixture into a long oval loaf that is about 9 to 10 inches long. Place the loaf in the center of the baking dish.
- Brush the top of the loaf with ketchup.
- Bake, uncovered, for one hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the meatloaf to rest for 5 minutes before serving hot.
- I had never added tomato sauce to meatloaf before this recipe, but I love it! You can’t taste it much, but it makes the meatloaf extra moist. You’ll love it.
- If you aren’t crazy about green peppers (or if your kids are going to fuss about green flecks in the dish), you can omit them, though they add a great brightness to the dish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: meatloaf recipe, meatloaf recipe best, how to make meatloaf, easy meatloaf recipe, how long to cook meatloaf, best meatloaf