These Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping are moist, sweet, full of fruit, and the best part? That topping! You are going to love them!
Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping are one of those fun recipes that you need in your life “just because.” This muffin is moist, sweet, full of blueberries, and that crumb topping is the perfect touch! You just can’t go wrong with a good crumb topping that isn’t all dry and floury (the secret is in melting the butter first). This one is a pretty perfect muffin if I do say so myself. I don’t often make muffins for breakfast; they are more of an afternoon treat in our house. I’ll let the kids eat one after baking then save the rest for dinner. These are a perfect side for just about any soup or simple egg dish. You are going to love them!
My sous chef was a big fan of the muffins.
This weekend we got all kinds of things done! We made a potato tower (which I’m not convinced will work, but it’s fun to try new things), planted 60 strawberry plants as well as carrots and radishes, we put a coat of paint on a kids’ picnic table we’re building (it’s so adorable! I can’t wait to show you all the details), and we planted clover seed in some of our bare spots in hopes of preventing weeds from growing. All in all it was a tiring productive weekend. Spring is grand!
Can I freeze muffins?
These muffins save well. I like to freeze them and pull them out on mornings where we’re in a hurry.
Should I thaw blueberries before baking?
Frozen blueberries do not need to be thawed before you add them to the batter. Unless the recipe calls for thawing- frozen works fine.
How can I tell when muffins are done?
Touch the muffin top lightly and if it is done it will spring back. You can also insert a toothpick in the center of the muffin. If the toothpick comes out clean (without batter on it) the muffins are finished baking.
For the Crumb Topping
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
For the Muffin Batter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- For the crumb topping, add the melted butter. Stir in both sugars until smooth. Add the flour and the cinnamon and combine with a fork until a thick crumb forms, set aside.
- For the batter, in a medium bowl add the butter and sugars. Beat until smooth. Add the eggs, yogurt or sour cream, and milk, stir well to combine. Add the vanilla stir to combine. In a separate bowl whisk the flour, baking soda and powder, and salt together. Add the dry ingredient to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, don’t over mix. Add the blueberries and fold to combine.
- Add the batter to 12 muffin cups that have been greased well (don’t use a paper liner). Evenly top each muffin with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then, keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the muffins rest in the pan for 10 or so minutes and then remove from the pan and let them cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 317
- Sugar: 22.7g
- Sodium: 257.2mg
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 43.8g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
Keywords: Breakfast, Muffins, Blueberry, Crumb Topping
A few of my favorite muffin recipes that I know you’ll enjoy:
- Pineapple Zucchini Muffins
- Easy Healthy Banana Muffins Made in the Blender
- Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins (made in the blender!)
- Maple Sweetened Healthy Banana Muffins (with or without chocolate chips)
- Cheddar Bacon Corn Muffins
- One Bowl Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Blender Muffins
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Monkey Bread Muffins
Thanks for stopping in and enjoy these Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping that are moist, sweet, full of fruit and that delicious crumb topping.