Have you ever made homemade barbecue sauce? Simple 30 Minute Barbecue Sauce is one of those recipes that aren’t maybe necessary in your life, but is so fun to make. The novelty of being able to make something homemade just because you can and just because it tastes better than store-bought is fun in my opinion. Plus you don’t have odd ingredients that you don’t really need in the mix. Homemade is always king!
Simple 30 Minute Barbecue Sauce
I love to make this quick barbecue sauce recipe when we are having a party or friends over from pulled pork sandwiches. Sure you can buy a bottle of barbecue sauce at the store, but there’s something magical about making your own at home. This recipe is quick, super easy, and can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge. You are going to love it!
What size should I chop onions for this sauce?
The onion and garlic will still be about the size you cut them into. If you don’t mind a chunky BBQ sauce then you are ready to use your homemade sauce. If you like it smoother (which I prefer) let the BBQ sauce cool for 10-15 minutes, carefully place it in a blender jar and process until smooth.
How long will this barbecue sauce stay good for?
The barbecue sauce can be used right away or refrigerated until you are need it. This will last about 2 weeks in the fridge.
What should I put this homemade barbecue sauce on?
This homemade barbecue sauce recipe would go perfect with a grilled chicken sandwich, on homemade honey wheat burger buns, or with some simple pulled pork or beef.
Quick, easy, and perfect for a party! This homemade barbecue sauce recipe takes about 20 minutes to put together and go great will all your sandwiches, pulled pork, and more!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (optional if your BBQ sauce a little spicy)
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Take care not to burn the onions and garlic and stir often. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- The onion and garlic will still be about the size you cut them into. If you don’t mind a chunky BBQ sauce then you are ready to use your homemade sauce. If you like it smoother (which I prefer) let the BBQ sauce cool for 10-15 minutes, carefully place it in a blender jar and process until smooth.
- The barbecue sauce can be used right away or refrigerated until you are need it. This will last about 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Category: Side
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 42g
- Sodium: 571.8mg
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 46.7g
- Protein: 0.4g
Keywords: Homemade, Barbeque Sauce, 30 Minutes
If you are craving more barbecue goodness try these recipes:
- Barbecue Ranch Chicken Salad
- BBQ Pork Tenderloin in the Crock Pot
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Barbacoa
- The Ultimate Pulled Pork Sandwich
- How to make any pulled meat in the slow cooker (beef, pork, lamb, and more)
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork, Beans, and Slaw
- Steak Carnitas Meat in the Crock-Pot
- Brown Sugar and Garlic Grilled Pork Tenderloin
This Simple 30 Minute Barbecue Sauce is a staple in my kitchen and one you are going love trying too! Enjoy!