Crispy, double breaded, and gooey Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks are a tasty dish that can be stored in the freezer to eat later. Cooked to perfection in the air fryer, these cheese sticks are an irresistible snack or side dish that is easy to make!
Who doesn’t love a crispy, delicious mozzarella stick? They taste even better when you make them at home! You have full control over what seasonings you add to your breadcrumbs and what sauces you have for dipping!
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
The next time you need a quick snack or side dish to bring to a gathering, whip up a batch of these addictive fried mozzarella sticks and toss them right into the air fryer. With a golden brown, crisp outside and a gooey, warm inside, you’ll find yourself devouring this easy homemade appetizer faster than you can say “cheese!”
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks—Cut in half. For a less traditional fried cheese stick, try using pepper jack or cheddar cheese instead.
- Breadcrumbs—A mixture of panko and Italian breadcrumbs gives this dish tons of crunch and flavor.
- Eggs—To adhere the breadcrumbs to the cheese.
How to Make Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the panko and Italian breadcrumbs.
- Dip each mozzarella stick in the egg mixture, then the bread crumb mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Place the mozzarella sticks on the pan and freeze.
- After they are frozen solid, dip each mozzarella stick in the eggs and breadcrumbs again. Return to the pan and freeze a second time.
- Place the mozzarella sticks in the air fryer and cook until gooey inside and golden brown on the outside.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although it is not necessary for this recipe, you can put parchment paper in the air fryer if desired. Parchment paper can handle heat in the air fryer up to 425°F.
Mozzarella sticks are a versatile food and go well with many dishes and sides! You can pair them with a seasoned chicken breast, grilled fish, spaghetti and meatballs, or a fresh Caesar salad. You can even serve them as a snack alongside some fresh fruits or vegetables!
No, you do not need to put oil on the air fryer before cooking your mozzarella sticks; they should be able to crisp up on their own. Additionally, they should not stick to your air fryer, making for an easy clean up!
How to Store and Serve the Best Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
You can store leftover cooked mozzarella sticks in the freezer for up to a month. When you are ready to enjoy this dish, there is no need to thaw them, simply reheat them in the air fryer for 5-7 minutes at 390°F. Avoid storing your mozzarella sticks in the fridge because the cheese will melt out of the sticks when you try to heat them up.
I love to serve these mozzarella sticks with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and chopped parsley on top for a completed and professional look. You can serve them with your favorite dipping sauce for extra flavor; my family’s favorites are marinara and ranch.
How to Make Mozzarella Sticks Without an Air Fryer
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still enjoy these cheesy and tasty mozzarella sticks! The process is nearly the same, only you will need to put your baking sheet in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Double bread the mozzarella sticks using the egg and breadcrumb mixtures. Don’t forget to freeze the sticks in between layers of breading!
- Once the cheese sticks are completely frozen, place them on the baking sheet and lightly coat the top of the sticks with oil.
- Transfer the mozzarella sticks to a lined baking sheet.
- Bake the mozzarella sticks for 6-8 minutes until the cheese is softened throughout and the crumbs are golden brown.
- Let stand for 3 minutes, serve, and enjoy!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- You should check the mozzarella sticks about halfway through cooking to ensure that they do not burst open. If you see cheese bubbling out, they are ready!
- Play around with the flavors and spiciness of your mozzarella sticks! You can try using a taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, or adding red pepper flakes to your bread crumb mixture.
- The thickness of mozzarella sticks can vary depending on the brand. You might need an extra egg or two to get through all your coating.
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Zucchini Boats with Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella
If you’ve tried this Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 8 mozzarella sticks cut in half AKA string cheese
- 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until they are fully beaten. In a separate bowl, combine the panko and Italian bread crumbs.
- Dip each mozzarella stick in the eggs before coating them in the bread crumb mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Place the coated mozzarella sticks on the pan and freeze them for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, dip each mozzarella stick in the eggs and bread crumbs again. Allow the sticks to freeze for an additional 30 minutes.
- Fill your air fryer basket with mozzarella sticks and air fry them for 7 minutes at 390°F.
- The thickness of mozzarella sticks varies depending on the brand, so you might need an extra egg or two to get through all your coating.
- These mozzarella sticks are best served fresh, but you can store them in the freezer for up to a month and reheat them in the air fryer for 5-7 minutes at 390°F.
- You don’t want to store these in the fridge because the cheese will just melt out of the sticks when you reheat them.
- You can add a little extra Italian flavor to these sticks by garnishing them in parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
- These are great served with marinara sauce for dipping.
Air fryer mozzarella sticks are going to be a family favorite. They are such a great finger food that is even easier to make.