This 100% Whole Grain Cornbread recipe is made with real butter and sweetened with honey. It takes about 5 minutes to throw together and is a delicious whole grain version of old-fashioned cornbread. My family gobbles it up!
Looking for a classic cornbread recipe to try? Hundreds of people have made and loved this easy homemade cornbread recipe!
My Favorite Whole Grain Cornbread Recipe
Today I'm sharing one of my all time favorite whole grain cornbread recipes that comes from the cookbook King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking. It uses honey for the sweetener and real butter for the oil which I love, and it always comes out great. It's light and fluffy, moist while still being a little crumbly, and I dare say it's good for you. There's really no need to buy a cornbread mix from the store when making it from scratch is this easy.
I'm kind of soup/chili/stew nut. They are easy to make, full of veggies and protein, and I love one pot meals. My family likes them but sometimes doesn't share my zeal for them (really, I could eat a soup meal twice a week without complaint). They are normally much happier when I have some bread or cornbread to go with the meal.
Common Questions About Making Cornbread:
What can I substitute for buttermilk?
There are a couple of different substitutes for buttermilk in baking. For each cup of buttermilk, you can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let rest for 5 minutes before using. You can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt or 1-¾ teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk.
Can cornbread be made the day before?
Corn bread is best when freshly baked, but it can be made up to 8 hours ahead.
What do I serve with corn bread?
This 100% Whole Grain Cornbread recipe is made with real butter and sweetened with honey. It takes about 5 minutes to make and is a delicious whole grain version of old-fashioned cornbread.
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (finely ground and sifted white whole wheat berries if grinding your own)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9x9 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, honey, eggs, and melted butter. Add all of the dry ingredients to the wet and stir quickly just until a thick batter comes together. Don't over mix.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan, spread it around evenly, and then bake in the hot oven until the top is golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Baking
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whole grain baking, whole grain cornbread recipe, easy cornbread recipe, whole wheat cornbread, healthy cornbread