Cornbread is one of my favorite additions to a meal. It takes about 5 minutes to get prepped and into the oven and my family loves it!
Today I’m sharing one of my all time favorite whole grain cornbread recipes that comes from the cookbook King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking. It uses honey for the sweetener and real butter for the oil which I love, and it always comes out great. It’s light and fluffy, moist while still being a little crumbly, and I dare say it’s good for you. There’s really no need to buy a cornbread mix from the store when making it from scratch is this easy.
I’m kind of soup/chili/stew nut. They are easy to make, full of veggies and protein, and I love one pot meals. My family likes them but sometimes doesn’t share my zeal for them (really, I could eat a soup meal twice a week without complaint). They are normally much happier when I have some bread or cornbread to go with the meal.
Give this recipe a try tonight and the crowds will go wild! And I added some of my favorite soup, chili, and honey butter recipes at the end of the post, so be sure to take a look at those if you need a little more inspiration.
Whole Grain Cornbread
- Yield: Serves 8
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (finely ground and sifted white whole wheat berries if grinding your own)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9×9 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, honey, eggs, and melted butter. Add all of the dry ingredients to the wet and stir quickly just until a thick batter comes together. Don’t over mix.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan, spread it around evenly, and then bake in the hot oven until the top is golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
Compliments to your cornbread:
Lighten-up White Chicken Chili
Vanilla Bean Honey Butter
Everything But the Kitchen Sink Soup
Smoky Sweet Potato Apple Soup
Salsa Verde Chicken Chili from One Lovely Life