Simple Vanilla Melt Away Cookies made with powdered sugar, butter, and a secret ingredient – corn starch!
Simple Vanilla Melt Away Cookies
You all are the best. I received so many kind, supportive, and just down right great comments yesterday. Thanks!
In celebration of the week almost being over and Husband coming home soon, I thought I’d post a cookie recipe. I made these little gems at Christmas time and never got the recipe up, but it’s worth getting back to now.
Have you ever had melt away cookies?! There are lots of variations (mint, chocolate, coffee…), but my very favorite are the deliciously simple vanilla cookies with vanilla icing. These cookies are a cross between a Mexican wedding cake cookie and shortbread in texture. They are soft but have an incredible fine crumb that just kind of melts in your mouth. And the secret to that amazing texture? Cornstarch! Who would have thought.
These were on Husband’s favorite cookie list this year. He loves how simple and sweet they are without being over the top. And that texture… you really have to try them to understand how tasty it is! I’m going to make some to surprise Thomas when he gets home this weekend, and I know there will be no complaints from the kids if I do.
What are melt away cookies?
Melt away cookies are a soft, lightly sweet shortbread cookie that seem to melt away in your mouth. The unique texture comes from a combination of powdered sugar, corn starch, and butter!
How can I add a little flare to melt away cookies?
This is the plainest version of this cookies but feel free to change it up! You can easily add food coloring to the dough and or icing. It’s easy to sprinkle on sprinkles, crushed candy canes, and sprinkling sugars.
You can change up the flavor by adding additional extracts to the dough or icing like almond, lemon, lime, or orange.
Can I freeze vanilla melt away cookies?
Yes! These store well in an air-tight container and they freeze well.
Simple vanilla melt away cookies made with cornstarch.
For the Cookies
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
For the Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 – 2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine the sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and combine. Add the flour and cornstarch and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Cover the cookie dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape the dough into round 1-inch balls and place a few inches apart on the cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for one minute and then remove and let them cool on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl. Drizzle or spread the glaze over cooled cookies.
- Enjoy and store any extras in an air-tight container.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 23.3g
- Sodium: 3.2mg
- Fat: 13.9g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 36.6mg
Keywords: Dessert, Cookies, Vanilla, Christmas Cookies
And if you thought these Vanilla Melt Away Cookies looked good, you might also like these:
- Perfectly Simple Shortbread Cookies
- The Last Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe You’ll Ever Try
- Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- The Best Simple Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
- Extra Soft Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Easy Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Soft and Puffy Greek Yogurt Sugar Cookies
- Homemade Girl Scout Cookies: Thin Mints
- Homemade Mint Oreo Cookies
- Perfect Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Super Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies (Makes 6 Cookies!)
- Extra Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Grandma Lucy’s Christmas Sugar Cookies
I hope you enjoy these Vanilla Melt Away Cookies made with powdered sugar and butter as much as we do.