Calling all breakfast enthusiasts! Have you ever craved a breakfast that combines the comforting goodness of toast with the ooey-gooey satisfaction of a stuffed dessert? Get ready to dive headfirst into the world of Stuffed French Toast, where the ordinary becomes extraordinary.
Picture this: golden-brown, crispy on the outside, pillowy-soft on the inside, and bursting with a luscious surprise filling. French toast, the divine creation that takes breakfast to a whole new level of awesomeness. Whether you're a sweet tooth or prefer a savory twist, there's a stuffed French toast combination out there waiting to satisfy your morning cravings.
Stuffed French Toast
The beauty of stuffed French toast is that it's a blank canvas for your culinary creativity. You can experiment with endless combinations, catering to your personal taste and imagination. Feeling adventurous? Try stuffing your French toast with diced apples, cinnamon, and a dollop of creamy caramel. Want something tropical? Go for a filling of sliced bananas, toasted coconut flakes, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. The possibilities are as vast as your imagination allows!
Of course, no breakfast is complete without some mouthwatering toppings. A generous drizzle of maple syrup is always a classic choice, but why not jazz it up a bit? How about a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or even a handful of fresh berries for a burst of fruity goodness? Don't be afraid to get creative and let your taste buds guide you to new, tantalizing heights.
- French bread or challah bread
- Cream cheese
Keep scrolling to find a full, printable recipe with a detailed ingredient list.
- Cut a pocket in each bread slice, starting from the top-crust edge and cutting almost to the bottom edge.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese on high for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Spoon the cream cheese filling into the pockets of the bread slices.
- Place the stuffed bread slices in a rectangular baking dish.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, honey, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread slices. Lightly press the bread down to moisten. Cover the dish and chill it in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours, turning the bread slices once or twice.
- Heat a greased griddle over medium heat. Cook the stuffed bread slices for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
- Serve the stuffed French toast with your choice of syrup, fresh berries, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious stuffed French toast creation!
Frequently Asked Questions
While thick slices of bread, such as brioche or challah, are popular choices for stuffed French toast due to their soft and absorbent texture, you can use any bread you prefer. Experiment with different types like whole wheat, sourdough, or even cinnamon swirl bread to add extra flavor to your stuffed French toast.
es, you can prepare the filling ahead of time. The cream cheese filling can be made and stored in the refrigerator for a day or two before using it to stuff the bread slices. Just make sure to cover the filling properly to prevent it from drying out.
It's recommended to let the stuffed French toast soak in the egg mixture for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld together. For best results, you can refrigerate it for up to 24 hours, turning the bread slices once or twice during that time. This overnight soak also allows the bread to absorb the custard mixture, resulting in a moist and flavorful final dish.
Stuffed French toast pairs well with a variety of delicious toppings. Some popular options include maple syrup, fresh berries, sliced bananas, whipped cream, chopped nuts, powdered sugar, caramel sauce, or even a dusting of cocoa powder. Feel free to get creative and add your personal touch with toppings that excite your taste buds.
- French Toast Casserole
- Easy French Toast Recipe
- Healthy Breakfast Cookies
- Easy Breakfast Burrito Recipe
If you’ve tried this Stuffed French Toast recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
Stuffed French Toast
- 4 sliced French bread or challah bread cut 1.5 inches thick
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons honey or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- buttermilk or maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- berries such as strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
- Cut a pocket in each bread slice by starting from the top-crust edge and cutting almost to the bottom edge.
- For filling, beat cream cheese in a medium bowl on high for 30 seconds. Beat in 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Spoon filling into pockets. Place bread slices in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, honey, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread slices. Press bread down lightly to moisten. Cover and chill for 2-24 hours, turning bread slices once or twice.
- Heat a greased griddle over medium heat. Cook bread slices 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
- Serve with your choice of syrup, fresh berries, and a little powdered sugar on top if you’d like.
- You can used flavored cream cheese for this such as strawberry or mixed berry, it’s excellent!
- This recipe is planning on one piece of toast per person but you might want more than that, so just scale the recipe up as needed. I normally make a quadruple batch of this recipe for my family of 7.
- The extended chilling time is nice if you want to make some of this ahead of time and less nice when I just want to make these right away. I'll often just let them rest for 10 minutes at room temperature and it works great still.
Gather your favorite fillings, whip up that egg batter, and let your culinary genius shine. Whether you're enjoying a lazy weekend brunch or a quick breakfast on the go, Stuffed French Toast is the ultimate way to make your mornings a little more magical.