Soft, moist, and extra chocolatey, these decadent sourdough chocolate muffins are everything delicious you could want in a baked goody!
- 1 cup (225g) sourdough starter or discard
- ¼ cup (85g) milk
- ¼ cup (56g) light oil or melted butter
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (6g) fine sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (175g), divided
- Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by greasing the cups well. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. (205 degrees C.).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the starter or discard, milk, oil, sour cream, and egg. Use a fork to whisk well to fully combine.
- Add the sugar and vanilla, and stir well to combine.
- Add the cocoa, flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Stir until just combined.
- Add almost all of the chocolate chips to the batter, reserving a few to sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking if desired.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. If using, sprinkle the tops of the muffins with reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are firm and the middles cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the muffin tin before removing them to cool on a wire rack. Eat warm or at room temperature.
- I’ll often grease a second muffin tin and bake 24 smaller muffins for about 15 minutes instead of 12 large muffins. This makes them go farther in a bigger family and helps to reduce toddler waste when they can’t finish a bigger muffin. Plus, the smaller muffins fit nicely in lunch boxes.
- You can use sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for this recipe. I prefer to use the full fat versions. Reduced fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt leads to a muffin that is drier in texture.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: sourdough
Keywords: sourdough discard recipe, sourdough muffins, chocolate muffin recipe, sourdough muffin recipe, sourdough discard, double chocolate muffins, chocolate muffin recipe