Have you seen those FUN hot chocolate bombs around the internet? They are so fun and so delicious and I’m here to show you how to make them at home! And I have a fun spin on a classic recipe, S’mores!
DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs
Making hot cocoa bombs is so much easier than you might think! All you need is some chocolate, cocoa mix, and a few extras to add in! It’s a bit of a process but I think of things like this as “food crafts” because they’re fun to make and then you get to eat them.
These hot chocolate bombs also make great gifts if you’d like to give something thoughtful and edible this year.
Here’s the step by step pictures on how to make hot chocolate bombs:
It’s easier than you think and once you see the photos, you’ll have a better understanding on how to make these at home.
- 1. Melt the chocolate.
- 2. Spread a little chocolate into your molds (you can buy them here if you need them! I used the medium ones.)
- 3. Let the chocolate set (harden by cooling).
- 4. Remove the chocolate from the molds.
- 5. Warm up a plate and then gently rub the chocolate halves on the plate (this makes them nice and flat so that the two sides go together!
- 6. Fill one half of the chocolate with your ingredients and hot chocolate powder.
- 7. Pipe a little melted chocolate around the edge of the chocolate half and then stick the other half on top, the melted chocolate is your “glue” to keep the two halves together.
- 8. Drizzle a little more chocolate on the top for decoration and add a few crumbs and marshmallows to the top while the chocolate is still wet.
- 9. Toast the mallows on top just a bit if you would like. Now you are ready to gift or use them!
Here’s how you use a hot cocoa bomb:
It’s so easy and so fun to use these! To use the hot cocoa bombs, place one in a large mug and pour 2 cups hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
More hot cocoa recipes:Print
Step by step instructions on how to make hot chocolate bombs at home using simple ingredients. And here’s a twist! These make S’mores hot chocolate!
- 2 cups chocolate candy melts
- 2 cups hot chocolate mix
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 crushed graham crackers
- Place chocolate candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Place 1 tbsp melted candy melt into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even. Repeat with 12 bomb mold halves.
- Place the chocolate filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer and gently tap the sides of the mold, pressing on one side of the chocolate to make the chocolate slid out of the mold.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 2 tablespoons hot chocolate mix, 1 tablespoon crushed graham cracker, and 6-8 mini marshmallows.
- Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch.
- Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb. If desired, pipe on more of the chocolate melts to help shore-up that seam.
- Using a piping bag or a fork, drizzle the remaining candy melts over the assembled hot cocoa bombs then immediately follow by adding 3-4 marshmallows on top and sprinkling additional crushed graham over them.
- If desired, using a small lighter, toast the marshmallows on top.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
- To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
- *You will also need bath bomb molds or cake pop molds and, if using bath bomb molds, I found it best to hold them steady in a cupcake tin. I used these!
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make hot chocolate bombs, how to make hot cocoa bombs, what is a hot cocoa bomb, hot cocoa bomb, hot chocolate bomb
Want To Save This Recipe?
You won’t believe how easy (and fun!) it is to make these S’more’s hot cocoa bombs at home. I have all the details. I hope you make some soon for giving or for enjoying yourself.