- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1 medium onion, large diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (14oz) can tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Toss the fresh tomatoes and onion in olive oil. Spread out onto a baking sheet and season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 40-60 minutes, or until blistered and blackened around the edges.
- Scoop the roasted tomatoes into a soup pot. Add garlic, canned tomatoes, and broth. Add in the basil. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and simmer soup for at least 15-30 minutes, or up to an hour.
- Working in batches, puree the soup till smooth in a blender or food processor. (If you have an immersion blender, you can use it directly in the pot of soup).
- Taste and add additional salt or pepper to taste. Garnish with additional fresh basil.
Use any tomatoes you like here–grape tomatoes, Romas, vine tomatoes… or a mixture (my favorite)
Author: One Lovely Life