One Pot Wonders make my world a happy place and my friend Emily from One Lovely Life is here sharing an amazing looking dish, just in time for cool fall weather! Take it away girl!
‘Tis the season friends! No, sorry, not THAT season. ‘Tis the season for stews, soups, and one pot meals. We didn’t have it often growing up, but some Sundays my mom would put together a pan of chicken baked over rice. I remember feeling a bit weird that the chicken had bones in it (oh, the horror!), but I also remember LOVING the rice. There’s just something magic that happens when you cook chicken over rice. All the glorious, succulent flavors meld together to create something so mouthwateringly amazing you find yourself going back for just one more bite about seventeen times.
This is one of those recipes. It’s a step up from cream of mushroom soup, but it’s just as simple to put together. Creamy coconut milk, a subtle bite from the ginger, a little sweetness from the onions, and just a little brightness from the lime wake your palate up and will keep you coming back to this dish over and over again.
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs here. I can find organic ones at a much better price than I can ever seem to find chicken breast, and they’re much less fussy than roasting a whole chicken. It’s also really hard to completely overcook them, which gives you tender, delicious chicken! Win for everyone, I say.
The rice is so, so good. For picky eaters, you can try grating your onion rather than dicing it. It’ll melt right into the rice. Just dice up the chicken for little ones before serving, cook up a green veggie as a side dish (broccoli or green beans are nice), and you’ve got one easy meal.
Happy eating, friends!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, patted dry
- 1 medium onion, diced or grated
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 (15oz) can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, finely shredded coconut
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 limes
- cilantro for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in an oven-safe Dutch oven or pan. Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken and brown the chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from the pan. Add onion, and ginger to the pan. Heat until tender and translucent.
- Pour coconut milk and broth into the pan and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add rice and stir to coat. Nestle the chicken into the rice mixture and sprinkle with coconut. Add a tight fitting lit to the pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or till rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle green onion and cilantro over all, then squeeze lime juice over everything.
Serve with broccoli or green beans
Author: One Lovely Life, adapted from Tyler Florence
- Serving Size: Serves 4
Want To Save This Recipe?
Thanks so much Emily!
Doesn’t that look amazing. Coconut milk, ginger, and cilantro are some of my very favorite flavor combos.
If this One Pot Coconut Chicken and Rice looked tasty you might also like these recipes:
One Pot Farm Stand Wonder (ham, potatoes, green beans… awesome!)
Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chicken and Lime Soup from One Lovely Life