Today, we're diving headfirst into a cheesy, saucy, and utterly irresistible dish - Five Cheese Ziti al Forno! If your taste buds are already tingling with excitement, buckle up because we're about to embark on a delightful culinary journey.
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno is an Italian-American comfort food that combines the heartiness of baked ziti with the creamy goodness of not one, not two, but five luscious cheeses. Ziti, a tubular pasta, is smothered in a delightful marinara sauce, mixed with a melange of cheeses, and baked until it reaches a level of gooey, golden perfection.
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno is an ode to cheese lovers everywhere. With its velvety blend of mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan, fontina, and Romano, it's like a cheese extravaganza in your mouth.
Another reason why people can't get enough of this dish is its comfort factor. It's the kind of meal that hugs your taste buds and warms your soul. It's the epitome of comfort food - perfect for lazy Sunday afternoons, family gatherings, or whenever you need a cheesy pick-me-up.
This dish is quick enough to make on a busy week night and fancy enough for Sunday dinner. Add in a green salad and garlic bread and you are set!
- Ziti pasta
- Chicken broth
- Marinara sauce
- Ricotta cheese
- Asiago cheese
- Provolone cheese
Keep scrolling to find a full, printable recipe with a detailed ingredient list.
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, then set it aside.
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter and sauté the onion until softened and translucent. Whisk in the flour to make a roux.
- Gradually add the chicken broth, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Stir in salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings.
- Mix in the marinara sauce until well combined. Add the cheeses and stir until coated.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix to coat it. Spread the pasta evenly in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is crispy and cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy your gooey, cheesy delight!
Frequently Asked Questions
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno is a delectable Italian-American pasta dish made with ziti pasta, five different cheeses and a flavorful marinara sauce. The dish is baked until the cheeses melt into a gooey, irresistible delight.
While ziti is the traditional pasta used in this dish, you can certainly get creative and use other types of pasta like penne, rigatoni, or even macaroni if you prefer. Just remember that different pasta shapes may affect the overall texture and presentation slightly.
Absolutely! Kids tend to love the cheesy goodness of this dish. It's a perfect way to introduce them to different cheese flavors in a comforting and approachable manner.
This dish is freezer-friendly. After assembling but before baking, cover it well with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and store it in the freezer for up to three months. When you're ready to enjoy it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake as usual.
- Pesto Pasta
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- One Pot Pasta Primavera
- Easy Roasted Tomato & Sausage Pasta
- Chicken with Tomatoes and Garlic Pasta
If you’ve tried this Five Cheese Ziti al Forno recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno
- 16 ounces ziti pasta
- ¼ cup butter salted, ½ stick or 4 tablespoons
- ½ cup onion white or yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 24 ounces marinara sauce your favorite brand
- 1 ½ cup shredded Mozzarella
- ¾ cup fresh grated Parmigiano
- ¾ cup Ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded Asiago cheese you can also use shredded Romano cheese
- 6 slices Provolone cheese cut into pieces
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the direction on the package. Set aside.
- In a Dutch Oven, melt the butter and add the onion.
- Cook on medium heat until the onions are softened and start to be translucent.
- Add the flour and whisk together with the butter and onions. You are making a Roux.
- Keep whisking and add the chicken broth. This will help make a smooth sauce.
- Add the salt, ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings. Mix well.
- Add the Marinara sauce, and mix until it is incorporated into the mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheeses in the sauce, reserving 1 cup of the Mozzarella cheese.
- Over low heat mix the cheese until they are all coated with the sauce. They don’t need to be all melted.
- Add the cooked pasta. Mix to coat the pasta.
- Spread the pasta evenly into the prepared 9 x 13.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup Mozzarella on top.
- Set aside.
- Make the topping.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, Asiago cheese, and melted butter.
- Mix until combined.
- Spread evenly on the pasta.
- Bake in a preheated oven, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Side dish: salad, vegetables, roasted veggies. We love cucumber salad with it.
- Storage: Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Because of the amount of cheese, I wouldn’t recommend freezing it as cheese sometimes when thawed can separate.
- Re-warm: In a microwave or in a skillet at low heat. You don’t want to cook the pasta too much, but make sure it is heated through.
- Have fun with the recipe:
- Make it spicy: When adding the spices, add some Cayenne pepper,
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno is a culinary masterpiece that exemplifies the essence of comfort food. With its blend of ziti pasta, rich marinara sauce, and a symphony of five delectable cheeses, you will enjoy every bite. Share with loved ones on a cozy weeknight or at a special gathering, this dish has the power to bring people together over a shared love for all things cheesy and delicious.