This Extra Thick Pumpkin Cake is the ultimate dessert recipe for pumpkin lovers! It’s dense, super moist, and all around delicious!
I’m a huge fan of dense, sweet, moist, and extra thick cakes; add pumpkin and a little pumpkin pie spice to that combo and I’m sold. This recipe is different from any I’ve seen! You mix together butter, sugar, six eggs (six!), pumpkin, evaporated milk, and then throw in a cake mix for good measure. Can you even?! So thick and yummy.
This Extra Thick Pumpkin Cake is the ultimate dessert recipe for pumpkin lovers! It's dense, super moist, and all around delicious! Plus it's made with a yellow cake mix which makes it extra easy!
Extra Thick Pumpkin Cake
Extra thick pumpkin cake is the stuff my dreams are made of!
This cake sure doesn’t need any frosting or icing, but a little bit of freshly whipped cream just makes this perfect. I’m drooling just thinking about it!
If you aren’t much of a pie baker, extra thick pumpkin cake is the perfect dessert to make for any holiday festivities. It can be made a day in advance and travels great!
What is the best way to tell if pumpkin cake is done baking?
Cook until you can insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly touched, about 45 minutes. Don't under bake the cake, it will feel soggy. Wait for it to spring back!
What is the best canned pumpkin to use?
Use what you like or have on hand! I get organic pumpkin puree at Trader Joe's (and stock up when I'm there) and I love it. It's a beautiful color and a nice thick consistency. You're good to use whatever you like best. Just pick pumpkin puree and don't buy pumpkin pie filling.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Extra thick pumpkin cake tastes great if made the day before. Store it in the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature before serving. It's a great candidate for a dessert to make ahead of time and it travels really well too.
It might not look like much, but it's one of those really easy desserts that you just keep coming back to. The texture is amazing thanks to all of the pumpkin, eggs, milk, and cake mix.
More Pumpkin Dessert Recipes:
- One Bowl Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Pudding
- Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Whipped Cinnamon Icing
- Cake Mix Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Perfect Pumpkin Bread
If you’ve tried this Thick Pumpkin Cake recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
This Extra Thick Pumpkin Cake is the ultimate dessert recipe for pumpkin lovers! It's dense, super moist, and all around delicious!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
- 6 eggs
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Freshly whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish well.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together well.
- Add the pumpkin and beat well to combine.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the evaporated milk, salt, and pumpkin pie spice and mix well.
- Add the yellow cake mix and mix well to combine.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and cook until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly touched, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a dusting of powdered sugar and fresh whipped cream.
- This recipe is from my friend Carrian; it’s legendary in her family and for good reason!
- This cake can be made ahead of time (the day before) and it travels well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin cake, pumpkin cake recipe, pumpkin dessert, pumpkin dessert recipe, easy pumpkin dessert, easy pumpkin recipe, pumpkin recipe, moist cake recipe
Don’t sleep on Extra Thick Pumpkin Cake. It is a recipe that you just have to make. I always think that pumpkin season is never long enough so feel free to make this anytime of year!