Pizza is undoubtedly one of the most beloved dishes worldwide. The combination of dough, sauce, cheese, and toppings never fails to delight our taste buds. While traditional pizzas are always a hit, sometimes we crave something different. That's where pizza twists come in!
Pizza twists are easy-to-make creations that take the flavors of pizza and present them in a fun and unique way. Kids and adults love them!
One of the best things about pizza twists is how incredibly easy they are to make. You don't need any fancy equipment or complicated techniques. All you need are a few simple ingredients, some pre-made pizza dough, and your favorite pizza toppings. Whether you're a seasoned chef or a novice in the kitchen, you'll find that making pizza twists is a breeze.
Pizza twists can be served for lots of various occasions. They make for a fantastic appetizer at parties, a quick and satisfying lunch, or a fun and easy dinner option for the whole family. They're also great for picnics, game nights, or even as a tasty snack to enjoy while binge-watching your favorite TV series. The possibilities are endless!
- 2 Sheets puff pastry
- Tomato sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
Keep scrolling to find a full, printable recipe with a detailed ingredient list.
- To make pizza twists, start by rolling out the pizza dough into a rectangle.
- Then, spread a layer of tomato sauce or pesto on the dough and sprinkle your desired toppings, such as cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, or bell peppers.
- Carefully roll up the dough, slice it into individual twists, and bake them in the oven until golden and crispy.
- Voila! Your delicious pizza twists are ready to be devoured.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Store-bought pizza dough works perfectly fine and saves you time. Just make sure to follow the package instructions for rolling and baking.
Yes, you can! Prepare the twists, refrigerate them, and bake them right before serving. They're also great for reheating, making them ideal for leftovers.
Pizza twists are incredibly versatile. For vegetarians, you can load them with your favorite veggies like spinach, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes. For vegans, use dairy-free cheese and skip the meat, and you'll have a tasty vegan-friendly option.
Yes, pizza twists can be frozen. After baking, let them cool completely, then store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to enjoy, simply reheat in the oven until warmed through.
If you’ve tried this Pizza Twists recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
Easy Pizza Twists
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed according to package instructions
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup mini pepperonis
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water (egg wash)
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning mixed with 3 tablespoons powdery grated Parmesan cheese optional
- additional tomato or pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Unroll the thawed puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Gently roll out the puff pastry so that it's ¼ inch thick, adding flour as needed. Repeat with both pieces of puff pastry.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over one of the puff pastry squares.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the pizza sauce, followed by the mini pepperonis.
- Carefully place the second puff pastry square on top of the first one, aligning the edges. Using your rolling pin, gently roll over the pieces to press them together well.
- Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut the puff pastry into 16 equal strips. I cut them into 8 pieces and then in half to make 16 total.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry with the egg wash.
- Hold each strip by its ends and gently twist it several times. Place the twisted strips on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about an inch apart. I gently press the ends with the egg was onto the parchment so that they stick just a bit, this helps them to not unwind while cooking.
- Brush the tops of the pizza twists with the egg wash where it's missing (the back sides of the twists). If desired, sprinkle with Italian seasoning mixed with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pizza twists for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown and the puff pastry is cooked through.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the pizza twists to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve your pizza twists with additional pizza sauce or marinara sauce for dipping.
- These are so much fun! I really like the Italian seasoning mixed with the powdery Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, so if you have it, do it.
- This is pretty flexible so if you'd like to add something, try it.
- It's best not to overload the pizza sticks with pizza toppings (sauce, cheese, pepperoni) those will be a little light handed in this recipe. They puff up better when they don't have too many toppings.
- You can find puff pastry in the freezer section in the grocery store. It's so fun to have on hand and use for easy dishes like this.
Pizza twists are a delightful and easy-to-make twist to traditional pizza. With their crispy crust, cheesy goodness, and endless customization options, they are sure to be a hit at any gathering or simply as a quick and satisfying meal. So, the next time you're craving pizza, give pizza twists a try, and get ready to savor the deliciousness with every bite!
Leave a Reply