Rich and thick curried coconut chicken with squash and dried cherries in one hearty flavorful meal that’s full of healthy ingredients.
- 3 T. oil (peanut, olive, coconut)
- 2 T. curry powder
- 1 T. plus 1 tsp. garam masala, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with the juice (14.5-ounce)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups cubed winter squash (banana, butternut, pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice for serving
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat the oil, curry powder, and 1 tablespoon of garam masala over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes. If it starts to stick add more oil, you don’t want it to burn.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Again, add more oil if it starts to stick too much.
- Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, undrained tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the squash and dried cherries. Cook the curry at a low simmer until the squash is very soft and the mixture thickens, 45 minutes to an hour.
- 5 minutes before serving, stir in the last 1 teaspoon of garam masala.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
- Curry is one of those dishes that only improve with time. If you have more time, let it cook! The leftovers are better the second day too.
- No cherries? Traditional or golden raisins are a great sub (but the cherries were SO good…).
- The garam masala is added twice because some of its flavor is heightened while cooking and some of it is lost. Adding it in the beginning and again at the end helps to not miss out on any of its goodness.
- You can substitute sweet potatoes for the squash if you’d like.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Nutrition Information: YIELD: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267.3 Fat: 5.8g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 306.6mg Carbohydrates: 44.6g Sugars: 5.2g Protein: 1g Vitamin A: 27µg Vitamin C: 2.6mg