Crock Pot Hot Cocoa is the perfect beverage to serve to a crowd or have waiting for you after a day playing in the snow. It’s creamy, delicious, and will warm you right up.
I always enjoy coming home to a meal that has been cooking all day and then we just serve it up and eat. How about doing the same with hot chocolate?! Crock pot cocoa is so fun to serve at a winter party or just have brewing during a cold wintery day.
Crock Pot Hot Cocoa Recipe
Homemade hot cocoa is so much better than the store bought packets. Once you try it, you won’t be able to turn back. Crock pot cocoa is made with milk, cream, sweetened condensed milk, and chocolate chips. It is decadent and so yummy.
There are definitely times that call for a large batch of hot cocoa. I love that to make this recipe you just throw everything in the crock pot and forget about it! This is perfect for after a sledding day, for a winter birthday party, or for a get-together with family of friends.
What is a good topping for hot cocoa?
Mini marshmallows, whipped cream, caramel, or peppermint are my go to add ins for hot chocolate.
How long does it take to make crock pot cocoa?
Set your crock pot to low and let it cook for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You can let it rest longer but 2 hours it about the shortest amount of time to warm up cold milk from the fridge.
Is it called hot chocolate or hot cocoa?
I think it depends on what area you grew up in and what they called it. Kind of like the soda and pop debate. I typically call it hot cocoa. This one could be called either because you are warming both chocolate and cocoa!
Ingredients in Crock Pot Cocoa
Combine all ingredients in the crock pot. Simple as that!
- whole milk and heavy cream - these are the base of the hot chocolate and give it great texture
- sweetened condensed milk - this is the sweetener
- milk chocolate chips - this helps to make the hot cocoa extra chocolatey
- cocoa powder - this gives the hot cocoa it's classic flavor
- additional toppings such as whipped cream, mini marshmallows, or crushed peppermint candies - because the toppings make it fun
Crock Pot Hot Cocoa
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
Crock Pot Cocoa is the perfect beverage to serve to a crowd or have waiting for you after a day playing in the snow. It’s creamy, delicious, and will warm you right up. Made from chocolate chips, milk, cream, cocoa powder, and sweetened condensed milk!
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- additional toppings such as whipped cream, mini marshmallows, or crushed peppermint candies
- In a large slow cooker (4 quart of larger) add the milk, cream, and sweetened condensed milk. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for about 2 hours to warm up the mixture.
- 10 minutes before you plan to serve the hot cocoa add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and salt if using. Whisk to combine. Stir every few minutes until the chocolate chips melt and everything is fully combined.
- Ladle the hot cocoa into mugs and serve with any additional toppings you might like.
- If you have a large enough slow cooker this is a great recipe to double for a crowd. I served it at our local winter farmer's market and it was a huge hit.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: drink
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker hot chocolate, slow cooker hot chocolate recipe, crock pot hot chocolate, crock pot hot chocolate recipe, crock pot hot cocoa, crock pot hot cocoa recipe, slow cooker hot cocoa, slow cooker hot cocoa recipe
You are going to love making hot cocoa in the crockpot. It is ideal for snowy days and so fun to have a batch at a get together. It’s creamy, delicious, and you’ll keep coming back to this recipe because it is that good!
What about left overs and reusing?
I feel I either make too little or too much. Can it be reused the next day and freshened up?
I just keep it in a mason jar in the fridge then heat it up slowly on the stove for the next morning!