Creamy Tuscan Chicken
on Sep 13, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tender and juicy pan-seared chicken thighs are combined with a creamy parmesan sauce, spinach, and tomatoes to make this luxurious creamy Tuscan chicken.
Creamy Tuscan chicken is hands-down one of my family’s favorite meals! This recipe contains creamy, rich flavors that simmer together to make a tasty sauce that pairs well with almost anything.
Creamy Tuscan Chicken
I love to serve Tuscan chicken over pasta, but you can also serve it over rice, potatoes, or even with a side of homemade garlic bread. This dish feels so gourmet, but it’s made with simple ingredients! The resulting meal is bright, satisfying, and restaurant quality.
Creamy Tuscan chicken is often visually appealing with its vibrant colors from the sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. The combination of colors and textures can make the dish look appetizing, further enhancing its appeal.
- Chicken Thighs—Boneless and skinless. You could also use chicken breasts if that’s what you have on hand.
- Cherry Tomatoes—Sliced. Sun dried tomatoes would also work.
- Spinach—You can use regular or baby spinach. It will wilt down as it cooks, so add more than you think!
- Parmesan Cheese—Freshly grated will melt nicely and have the best flavor.
- Heavy Whipping Cream—Acts as the base of the creamy sauce!
- Butter—Salted or unsalted.
- Olive Oil—Just enough to cook your chicken with.
- Spices—A simple blend of Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
How to Make Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken thighs in the olive oil until they are cooked through.
- Add the butter and spices. Flip the chicken a few times to ensure the thighs are fully coated.
- Sprinkle in the cherry tomatoes and cook until they are softened. Then, add the spinach leaves and stir until they are saturated in the butter mixture.
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted into the cream. Allow the sauce to simmer until it has thickened.
- Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Tuscan style food is typically characterized by its simplicity and quality of ingredients. You will notice that cheese products, olive oil, meat, bread, vegetables, and fresh herbs are some of the most used ingredients in Tuscan dishes. Although Tuscan style food is simple, there is still a rich and flavorful taste that is present in every dish!
Of course! If you are using sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, they will typically be soft enough to throw right into your pan. Otherwise, I recommend soaking your dried tomatoes in warm water or chicken broth for about 10 minutes before adding them to the pan. This will help them soak up all the creamy and savory flavors of this dish.
Tuscan chicken is a dish that is wonderful served on its own, but you can also serve it over cooked rice, pasta, or even garlic bread! To make a more balanced meal, you can serve Tuscan chicken with vegetables or a fresh side salad and vinaigrette. This dish goes great with roasted asparagus or broccoli, sauteed green beans, or steamed peas and carrots.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Creamy Tuscan Chicken
If you have any of this Tuscan chicken leftover, wait until it has cooled down before placing it in the fridge. You can store this dish in an airtight container for up to 4 days. When reheating your leftovers, put everything in a large pan over medium heat and stir until heated throughout.
Unfortunately, I don’t recommend reheating this dish in the microwave. By the time the sauce has heated all the way through, the chicken will be tough and dry.
- You can easily make this recipe dairy-free! Simply replace heavy whipping cream with coconut milk and use a vegan parmesan cheese.
- Boost the nutritional value of this creamy Tuscan chicken by adding in some extra veggies. Diced onions, mushrooms, or zucchini would all be tasty!
- Toss in some fresh garlic, lemon juice, and Italian herbs to add some extra zesty flavor to this dish.
- Not a fan of chicken? No problem! Mix things up a little by making just the creamy tomato sauce and serving it over other proteins like salmon, pork, steak, or roasted chickpeas.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- I typically cut the cherry tomatoes in half, but you can quarter them if you want them a bit smaller!
- For tender and juicy chicken, make sure the thighs are cut in thin and even strips.
- Keep an eye on the sauce as it simmers—it can thicken quickly! I like my sauce on the thinner side, so I only let it simmer for two or three minutes.
- If you like your Italian food a little on the spicier side, try adding some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce as it simmers.
- Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Broccoli Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
If you’ve tried this Creamy Tuscan Chicken recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat for about a minute. Add the chicken thighs and cook for 5-7 minutes on each size, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Once the chicken thighs are fully cooked, add the butter, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Flip the chicken a few times, ensuring the thighs are evenly coated in butter and spices.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for about 4-5 minutes, giving the tomatoes time to soften. Once the cherries have softened, add the spinach and stir until they are saturated in the butter. Mixture.
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and homogenous with the cream. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This Tuscan chicken is great served on its own, over white rice, or with pasta. This dish also goes great with some steamed veggies or a side salad.
- This chicken is nice and tender and is kept perfectly moist by the creamy sauce.
- I like to cut the cherry tomatoes in half, but you can quarter them if you want them a little smaller.
- You can use either regular or baby spinach in this recipe.
- This Tuscan chicken is best served fresh, but you can store your leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days when kept in an airtight container. When reheating your leftovers, put everything in a large pan over medium heat and stir until heated all the way through.
- Microwaving the leftovers causes the chicken to dry out too much by the time it is heated all the way through.
- You can use either salted or unsalted butter in this recipe.
Creamy Tuscan chicken is a delicious and satisfying dish that you should definitely try making at home. Its rich and creamy sauce, balanced flavors, and ease of preparation make it a delightful choice for a comforting and flavorful meal. So, why wait? Give it a go and savor the goodness of creamy Tuscan chicken!