on Feb 05, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This fresh, tangy, and sweet Apple Salad can be made in a matter of minutes! This delicious side dish is full of flavor and is sure to please a crowd.
I love a good hearty salad, but I especially love a salad with fruit and nuts! This apple salad has the right amount of sweet, tangy, and savory flavors all in one.
Each ingredient plays a part in making this salad irresistible and addicting. One of my favorite things about this salad is the creamy, zesty Greek yogurt dressing. It really brings the dish together.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It is sweet and savory with a delightful blend of apples and honey, and cheese and nuts.
- A light and refreshing dish.
- Easy to throw together and doesn’t skip on the flavor.
Ingredients for the salad:
- Romaine Lettuce—You can also use mixed greens.
- Spinach—For extra nutrients and texture.
- Chopped Walnuts—To add a nutty taste to your salad.
- Apples—I use honeycrisp, but any kind will work!
- White Cheddar Cheese—Adds a nice sharp flavor that pairs nicely with the dressing.
Ingredients for the dressing:
- Greek Yogurt—Acts as the base for your dressing
- Lemon Juice—Gives your dressing some tang to contrast the sweet flavors in the salad.
- Honey—Acts as the sweetener in your dressing.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How to Make Apple Salad
Step #1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, spinach, and apples. Fold the ingredients together and set the bowl aside.
Step #2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and honey until smooth and homogenous.
Step #3. Fold the walnuts and shredded cheese into your salad.
Step #4. Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
You can use any type of apple in this recipe!. Some of our favorite options include honeycrisp, fuji, pink lady, and jazz. Whatever apple you choose, it will bring its own unique sweetness and flavor that will pair well with the cheese and dressing of your salad!
These two salads are a bit similar but have a lot of major differences. Waldorf salad typically contains apples, celery, grapes, and nuts in a mayonnaise based dressing. Apple salad has some modifications, including adding lettuce, spinach, and cheese. We also use a greek yogurt based dressing to add a creamy tang to the salad.
Absolutely! This is a very easy salad to make ahead of time if you are looking to save some time. Add all of the salad ingredients together in a bowl and mix your dressing in a separate bowl. You can wait to add the apples if you would like, but if you want to be ready to grab the salad and go, then you can go ahead and dice them up. If you’re worried about the apples going brown then you can squeeze some extra lemon juice on top to prevent them from oxidizing. When you are ready to eat the salad, simply add the dressing and enjoy!
- The tartness of the lemon pairs wonderfully with the sweet crispness of the apples; however, you can cut down on the lemon and use only the juice of half a lemon if you want it to be a little less tart!
- Storing the salad separate from the dressing will help keep the salad fresh and crispy! I would recommend only putting dressing on half the salad at a time in case you have any leftovers to store.
- You can replace the walnuts with plain or candied pecans. Candied pecans add a nice crunch and extra bit of sweetness to the salad!
- If you don’t have plain Greek yogurt, you can use vanilla yogurt. If you are using the vanilla yogurt, you can omit the honey or reduce it to ½ tablespoon because the yogurt is already sweetened.
How to Serve and Store Apple Salad
Depending on the occasion, apple salad can be served as the main course with a side of bread or rolls. Adding some shredded chicken to this salad is an easy way to make it a little more filling and add some protein.
If you have leftovers, you can store the salad and dressing in separate containers in airtight containers in the fridge. The salad will last for up to 4 days. The dressing will last about a week and a half. Simply pour the dressing on top of single servings of the salad and enjoy when you’re ready to eat it again!
More Salad Recipes To Consider
For the Salad:
- 3 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 apples,, diced
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
For the Dressing:
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large mixing or serving bowl, combine the lettuce, spinach, and apples. Fold the ingredients together and set the bowl inside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and honey until smooth and homogenous.
- Fold the walnuts and shredded cheese into your salad.
- Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
- The tartness of the lemon dressing pairs nicely with the sweet crispness of the apples; however, you can use the juice of 1/2 lemon if you want it to be a little less tart.
- Storing your dressing separate from the salad will help keep the salad fresh and crispy.
- Store the salad and dressing in separate airtight containers. The salad will be good for up to 4 days. The dressing will last about a week and a half.
- You can use any kind of apple in this recipe. Our favorite is honey crisp, but feel free to switch it up!
- You can replace the walnuts with plain or candied pecans. Candied pecans adds a nice crunch and extra bit of sweetness to the salad.
- If you don’t have plain Greek yogurt you can use vanilla yogurt. If you are using vanilla yogurt you can omit the honey or reduce it to 1/2 tablespoon.