Chicken Carbonara Recipe
on Jul 19, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you’re a fan of creamy pasta dishes then Chicken Carbonara is right up your alley. So grab your apron, put on your favorite tunes, and let’s get cookin’!
Let’s start with the basics. Chicken carbonara is essentially a pasta dish made with spaghetti or fettuccine noodles, crispy bacon, Parmigiano cheese, eggs, and, of course, tender chunks of chicken. It’s a hearty and comforting meal that’s perfect for satisfying your hunger and impressing your taste buds.
Chicken Carbonara Recipe
Chicken carbonara is all about that luscious, creamy sauce. The combination of eggs, cheese, and rendered bacon fat creates a velvety texture that coats each strand of pasta. It’s a rich and indulgent experience that satisfies cravings for comfort food.
The flavors in chicken carbonara work so good together. The smoky and salty notes from the bacon pair beautifully with the savory chicken. The creaminess of the sauce is balanced by the sharpness of the cheese.
Whether you’re cooking for your family or hosting a dinner party, chicken carbonara is a crowd-pleaser. Its comforting and universally appealing flavors make it a hit with both kids and adults. It’s the kind of dish that brings people together, creating shared memories and moments of enjoyment around the table.
- Chicken breasts
- Garlic powder
- Lemon pepper
- Parmigiano cheese
- Dry basil
- Italian seasoning
- Heavy cream
Keep scrolling to find a full, printable recipe with a detailed ingredient list.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions and set aside.
- Cook bacon until crispy, then drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same skillet, cook chopped chicken until no longer pink.
- Combine egg yolk, grated Parmigiano cheese, dry basil, Italian seasoning, salt, ground pepper, and heavy cream in a bowl.
- Return bacon to the skillet with the chicken, add cooked pasta, and pour the cream mixture over everything. Cook until heated through.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! While spaghetti or fettuccine are traditional choices, you can use other types of pasta like penne or linguine if you prefer. Feel free to experiment and use your favorite pasta shape.
Certainly! While not traditional, adding vegetables like peas, mushrooms, or spinach can provide extra flavor, texture, and nutritional value to your chicken carbonara. Just sauté them separately and mix them in with the pasta and other ingredients.
While reheating can cause the sauce to separate and the pasta to become mushy, you can gently reheat leftover chicken carbonara in a skillet over low heat. Add a splash of cream or milk to help revive the creaminess, and be sure to stir frequently until heated through.
- Pineapple Chicken
- Pesto Pasta
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- One Pot Pasta Primavera
- Easy Roasted Tomato & Sausage Pasta
If you’ve tried this Chicken Carbonara recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
Chicken Carbonara Recipe
- 16 ounces spaghetti,, cooked (you can use Linguine, Fettucini, or egg noodles)
- 6 strips of bacon,, cut into pieces (about 1 inch)
- 2 chicken breasts,, cubed into bite-size, about 1 inch, about 1 pound
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon dry basil,, if you like more basil taste add another tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, I used a 10-inch braiser, to cook the bacon pieces. about 8 minutes. I cut the bacon already into pieces, but you can also cook the bacon whole and then chop it into desired pieces in size.
- Once the bacon is cooked, transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate. Gently press down with another paper towel to soak the oil out. Set aside.
- Take the bacon grease out of the skillet, minus 1 tablespoon.
- On medium heat add the chopped chicken bites.
- Sprinkle salt, ground pepper, and lemon pepper seasoning. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink and the internal temperature indicates 165 degrees F, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a medium size bowl, combine the egg yolk, grated Parmigiano cheese, dry basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and ground pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Add the heavy cream and gently whisk until the ingredients are all combined together. Set aside.
- Add the bacon back into the skillet once the chicken is cooked. Mix together on low heat.
- Add the pasta and mix so the chicken and bacon are mixed with the pasta.
- Slowly pour the heavy cream mixture on the pasta. Using 2 serving forks or a pair of cooking tongs mix until the pasta is coated with the cream/egg yolk mixture.
- Cook on low medium heat until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Why just the egg yolk? It makes the sauce creamier. When adding the whole egg to the pasta, the residual heat of the pasta cooks the egg white leaving some white pieces on the pasta.
- Storage: Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Chicken carbonara is a dish that brings people together. It’s perfect for a cozy night in with loved ones or a gathering with friends. So the next time you’re craving a comforting and indulgent pasta dish, give chicken carbonara a try. Your taste buds will thank you, and you’ll be left with a big smile on your face, thinking, “Life is good when there’s chicken carbonara on the table.”