Quick and easy Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce made with tomatillos, peppers, onion, and cilantro that is packed with flavor and freezes well too.
I adore all things Tex-Mex/Mexican/Southwest in flavor and that includes all things enchilada. I often want to turn taco night into enchilada night but what holds me back is the lack of enchilada sauce. I don’t keep it on hand and I don’t normally think of it when I’m at the store. This has caused me to find the best and easiest green enchilada sauce and I’m so glad that I have! You won’t believe how easy making this sauce is.
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce
You might need to put a few extra ingredients on your shopping list this week (hello, tomatillos), but they are worth finding. This sauce is delicious on so many things and you are going to find yourself making it again and again. You just chuck everything in the blender, blend until smooth, and then cook that mixture on the stove-top until it has thickened and the flavor has developed. There’s nothing to it! The flavor and texture are excellent, it’s easy to make at home, and it also freezes really well. I always make a double batch of this recipe while I’m at it and freeze half for later use. You won’t believe how easy and delicious this one is! Happy Enchilada Making to you!
How long does enchilada sauce last?
Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When tomatillos and peppers are in season, late in the summer, I always make large batches to freeze for later in the winter.
What else can I use green enchilada sauce for?
This is one of those magic sauces that is so much more than a green enchilada sauce. Use it as a marinade for chicken and pork chops (I just add a little chicken stock or water to thin it out), cook your protein in it for tacos (pressure cooker or slow cooker both work great), or add a little olive oil to it to make a delicious salad dressing. It’s so full of flavor – put it on everything!
How do I pick the best tomatillos?
When buying tomatillos pick ones that have green soft husks and no blemishes.Print
Quick and easy green enchilada sauce made with tomatillos, peppers, onion, and cilantro that is packed with flavor and freezes well too.
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 5–6 cloves garlic
- 2–4 Anaheim peppers, chopped
- 1–2 jalepenos, seeded
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked and cut in half
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Place all of the ingredients in the blender and process until smooth. (If the jar of your blender doesn’t fit it all, add all of the ingredients except for the chicken stock. Add only enough stock to allow the blender to process everything until smooth. Add the rest of the stock to the pan before cooking)
- Add the blended mixture to a large pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes. If the sauce is thicker than you like, add a little more chicken stock.
- Serve inside burritos or pour it over enchiladas for a smothered styled meal. I also use this as part of my liquid in tortilla soup and chili!
- Freeze any extras for later use or make a double batch to keep some on hand in the freezer.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: homemade enchilada sauce recipe, enchilada sauce recipe, easy enchilada sauce recipe, how to make enchilada sauce
Ways to use homemade green enchilada sauce:
- Easy Shredded Meat and Corn Enchilada Bake
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Cilantro Rice and Bean Bake (vegetarian enchilada casserole)
- One Pan Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchilada Bake
- You can also make your own enchilada filling with recipes like Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Taco Meat or Easy Crispy Instant Pot Pork Taco Recipe and just roll them up and cover them with enchilada sauce and cheese.
I hope this quick and easy Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce makes your dinner just a little easier and as tasty as ever! Enjoy!