on Feb 02, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
With a few simple spices you likely already have in your pantry, you can make a savory Burger Seasoning that has a slight kick and will transform your typical hamburger patty!
If you ask me, a burger is not complete without some seasoning! A good blend of spices is what can really set a good burger apart from a mediocre one. This seasoning uses a blend of flavorful spices to fill each bite of your burger with rich flavors. We like to season both sides of our burger patties to maximize the flavor you get.
This recipe includes a nice blend of spices that create a strong foundation for any burger seasoning. If you want to add other spices to your liking, go right ahead! You can make this mix spicier, or keep the heat subtle. The best part about making spice mixes at home is that you can make as much as you’d like and store the rest to use later in other dishes! This recipe is one that will come in handy more than once.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Gives your burger the perfect crispy and flavorful coating.
- Can be modified to add your favorite seasonings.
- Comes together in minutes and can be stored in the pantry for later use.
- Sea Salt—Coarse salt will give your seasoning mix a bit of dimension and adds a little bit of texture to the burgers.
- Paprika—For a subtle sweet and peppery taste.
- Chili Powder—Adds a little kick to the burgers.
- Garlic Salt—Can be replaced with garlic powder or freshly minced garlic.
- Onion Powder—Adds a sharpness to your seasoning mix.
How to Make Burger Seasoning
1. Gather and measure all of the ingredients needed for burger seasoning.
2. Whisk together all of the spices in a small bowl. until they are homogenous.
3. Mix until they are homogenous.
4. Sprinkle over your burger patty as desired. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
The best way to season the burger is to sprinkle the spice mix on top of your raw patties! Carefully rub it in with your hands after you have formed the patties. This helps ensure that as the patties cook, they will have a nice texture on the outside as well as a burst of flavor. You can also add this mix on top of a freshly cooked burger patty as a garnish or finishing touch before assembling your burger!
You definitely want to season your burgers so they aren’t bland, but a little seasoning will go a long way. Before you cook your beef, you can use about ¼ to ½ teaspoon on each side of your patty to give it equal flavor on each side. I recommend seasoning the patties at least 20 minutes before you cook them to allow the mix to adhere to the meat. If you are using the seasoning after the burgers are cooked then you can season to taste.
This recipe should make enough seasoning that you will have some left over. You can store the mix in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months! After that, the spices will start to lose flavor and will be less potent. The best way to store this seasoning is in an airtight mason jar, but a plastic bag or container will work as well, as long as it can be sealed to prevent air from seeping into the mix.
- If you’re wanting a spicier blend, you can replace the chili powder with chipotle chili powder and a pinch of red pepper flakes!
- Be careful not to overwork your meat when making the patties and rubbing the seasoning mix onto them! It will cause the burgers to come out more tough and dry rather than moist.
- Other spices you can add include a teaspoon of dried minced onion, cumin, oregano, or black pepper.
- Another way to combine the seasoning is by placing all of the spices in a sealed jar and shaking for about 30 seconds!
How to Use Your Burger Seasoning
The most obvious use for burger seasoning is for homemade hamburgers. There is nothing better than a freshly made and seasoned patty. This spice mix will make your next barbecue the talk of the town! Serve with typical hamburger toppings like cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mustard, and pickles. You can add classic sides to your burgers that will compliment the bold taste. Some of our favorites are plain potato chips, pasta salad, and baked beans. You can also use burger seasoning on other dishes for a deep and smoky flavor! Some ideas include chicken, steak, roasted potatoes, and even popcorn! Experiment with different foods to find what you love to use this seasoning with!
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Whisk together all of the spices in a small bowl until they are homogenous.
- Sprinkle over your burger patty as desired.
- This makes about 1/4 of a cup of seasoning. Feel free to scale the recipe up to make a larger batch!
- You can either add this seasoning mix to your uncooked burger by working it in with your hands or adding it on top of a freshly cooked burger patty.
- You can store your seasoning in a cool dry place for up to 3 months. We like to store our seasoning in an airtight mason jar, but a plastic bag or container will work too.
- For a spicier blend, replace the chili powder with chipotle chili powder and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Other spices you can add include a teaspoon of dried minced onion, cumin, oregano, and black pepper.
- You can also combine the seasoning by placing all of the spices in a sealed jar and shaking for about 30 seconds.