Remember a few weeks ago when I told you all about our love of whole foods (with a healthy outlook on dessert!) and presented you with a two-week Eating Clean challenge? Did any of you make time to do it? Now that Thanksgiving is over but Christmas is still a few weeks away it’s the perfect time to take the challenge if you haven’t yet.
I thought I’d share how the challenge went for me personally. My goal was to lose a little weight. So I ate no sugar and was aware of my portions, on top of the whole foods only. After the two weeks I dropped five and a half pounds. I didn’t exercise at all during those weeks (we did go on a walk one day, but that was it!). But now that it’s been a week (and Thanksgiving happened) I’ve gained about half of the weight back. That’s really normal for me. When I reintroduce sugar my body hoards it. My body is excellent at hoarding calories :) I would also say that I’m generally happier and have more energy when I choose to kick sugar and eat well.
Most of the recipes I shared were mine and things that I’ve been making for a long time. A few however where new-to-me recipes. I made new-to-me steak carnita meat in the crockpot and it was probably my favorite meal from the entire two weeks. We enjoyed the leftovers for a few days, and I just got everything to make them again this week. They were amazing and so so easy. Gotta love that. I used the meat in soft tacos, hard tacos, tostadas, and on nachos… can’t beat meals like that. Hey, they are clean!
Well, I’m gearing up to do my two week challenge again before Christmas (which should mean a sustained five-pound weight loss during the holidays for me. Yes!). Now that I’ve got you excited I want you to do it with me. Who’s in? We can make a FB page or something to help each other out and get motivated. I’m serious, I do so much better when I have a support group. Let’s do it!
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1½ tsp cumin or smoked cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- Serving Options:
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Mix all of the spice together in a small bowl for the spice rub. Rub the spices into each side of the steak, using all of the mixture.
- Place the spice rubbed-steak in the bottom of the crock pot. Place the chopped onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno on top of the steak. Cook for on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- After the cooking time has lapsed, remove the steak from the crock pot and shred with two forks. Serve immediately or return to the crock pot for a few hours until you are ready to eat.
- Serve on corn tortillas with your favorite topping.
For this recipe, I recommend:
Jenna (from Eat, Run, Live) who originally made the recipe had some great serving suggestions too.
Seriously, let me know if you want to eat clean together. How about starting the first Monday in December? I’m excited!
Thanks for stopping in,