Whole Wheat Graham Crackers
Can I use any kind of flour?
Traditional graham crackers use graham flour, while this recipe uses whole wheat flour. Both are great options and taste very similar to each other. Don't even think about using white flour here. There is no need, and it will cut out some of the much-needed taste. I grind hard white wheat berries at home and love the flavor and texture.
How long do homemade crackers last?
Baked crackers should be stored in an airtight container and can be kept for a few weeks before they get stale.
What can I put on top of graham crackers?
There are so many options for eating graham crackers! You can eat them plain, or top them with peanut butter, icing, honey, fruits, jam, Nutella, and of course, marshmallows and chocolate.
Whole Wheat Graham Crackers are a homemade version of your favorite cracker. Top with peanut butter, dip in milk and enjoy the crunchy texture and honey flavor.
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup sucanat (dehydrated cane juice) or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all your dry ingredients in the bowl of your mixer and combine.
- Add all of the wet ingredients and mix with the cookie paddle attachment until everything comes together. The dough isn't sticky and is moderately greasy.
- Divide the dough in half and roll half out on a floured surface. Roll to about ¼ inch thick. You can treat the dough like a sugar cookie dough and cut out shapes or you can use a pizza cutter and cut out squares. Place the cut out crackers on a parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet, and prick them with a fork.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until the edges just slightly darken. They will harden up more as they cool.
- Store in an air tight container.
- You can use coconut oil in place of all or part of the butter.
- The thickness of the dough and the baking time will change the texture of the cracker. Sometimes I like them thicker and baked less, which yields more of a cookie texture. Lots of times I will roll out half the dough for thin crackers and the other half for thicker cookies.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: graham crackers, crackers, cookies, how to, recipe, snack, graham
More Cracker Recipes:
- Fathead Cracker Recipe (Grain-Free)
- Simple Lavash Crackers
- Tomato Basil Cheese Crackers
- 5 Minute Ranch Crackers
Graham Cracker Recipes:
- Homemade Graham Crackers 3 Ways: Original, Orange Dark Chocolate, and Pumpkin Spice
- Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart with a Graham Cracker Crust
- Life-Changing Peanut Butter S'mores Bars
- Homemade Coconut Cream Pie
- Easy Healthy No-Bake Cheesecake
- Simple Graham Cracker Recipe
This post was originally published in 2012 and has been updated in July 2019.
Try Whole Wheat Graham Crackers for a simple and healthy snack that tastes delicious on its own or topped with something sweet. These are a great way to add whole wheat into your diet and not notice it!