- 4 1½-inch slices French bread or challah bread
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons honey or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Maple syrup
- Cut a pocket in each bread slice by starting from the top-crust edge and cutting almost to the bottom edge.
- For filling, beat cream cheese in a medium bowl on high for 30 seconds. Beat in 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Spoon filling into pockets. Place bread slices in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, honey, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread slices. Press bread down lightly to moisten. Cover and chill for 2-24 hours, turning bread slices once or twice.
- Heat a greased griddle over medium heat. Cook bread slices 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Serve with syrup.