Thick and creamy Stove Top Cheddar Broccoli Soup is what my dreams are made of. This is a highly requested recipe and there is no doubt why. Cheddar broccoli soup is the epitome of comfort food.
Ditch Panera’s expensive soup and create your own cheddar broccoli soup in the comfort of your own home. Trust me when I say it tastes just as good (or better if I do say so myself) and for a fraction of the cost.
Stove Top Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Cheddar broccoli soup is a family favorite of ours. Kids enjoy the texture and cheesiness and parents love all of the vegetables that are hidden inside.
As far as the cheese goes, this recipe calls for sharp cheddar. It gives the soup such a rich flavor. You could also use parmesan, mild cheddar or pepper jack cheese based off of your preference and what you have in your kitchen.
This soup is also gluten-free and vegetarian. It is perfect to serve when you aren’t sure of your guests diet restrictions or you are looking for a meatless dish. You can’t go wrong with this one.
- Onion: classic start to any dish, this also has a little garlic. So good.
- Vegetable or chicken broth: you can use what you like or have on hand for this recipe
- Broccoli: I love that you can use fresh or frozen broccoli in this recipe. 80% of the time I use frozen because it's already chopped and ready to go!
- Carrots: just a few for color and a little flavor, you can grate your own or buy matchstick carrots
- Cornstarch: just a little helps to thicken the soup and adds helps the texture to be nice and velvety.
- Half-and-half or cream: this helps to make the soup rich, thick, and creamy. I normally use cream.
- Cheddar cheese: this adds all that great cheese flavors. You can use a mixtures of cheeses that you like or have on hand too.
- This is SUCH an easy soup to make and it comes together so fast. Just cook up your onion in a little butter until soft.
- Add the broth, broccoli, carrots, and seasoning to the dish and let it simmer until everything is cooked soft.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and let it thicken and then stir in the cream and cheese until it's all melted and smoother and stir right away! Perfect and simple.
- See the full recipe below (keep reading!)
- Serve with your favorite Buttermilk Biscuits, Classic French Baguettes, or Cornbread on the side.
Frequently Asked Questions
You must serve some type of crusty bread with this soup because it is so perfect for dipping. I recommend fresh baguette or a loaf of sour dough.
You can use frozen broccoli in place of the fresh. Sometimes I use the mixed broccoli and cauliflower that is frozen and it works great too.
This soup freezer great! Place the soup in a freezer-safe container or a zipper storage bag. When you are ready to eat the soup, simple thaw it and warm the soup up on low heat.
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- The Best Instant Pot Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Classic Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Sausage Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup
If you’ve tried this Stove Top Cheddar Broccoli Soup or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.Print
Thick and creamy Stove Top Cheddar Broccoli Soup is what my dreams are made of. This is a highly requested recipe and there is no doubt why. Cheesy broccoli soup is the epitome of comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion, 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken stock if not vegetarian)
- 4 cups bite-sized broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup matchstick or grated carrots
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 cups cream or half-and-half
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, add the butter and onion and sauté until the onion is tender over medium to medium high heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken stock, broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer, simmer until the broccoli is cooked through and very tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the corn starch and cold water until smooth.
- Slowly add the corn starch mixture to the pot. Stir constantly until the soup comes to a simmer and thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the cream or half-and-half.
- Add the cheese a handful at a time and stir until it melts.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- You can use frozen broccoli in place of the fresh, no need to change the cooking time. Sometimes I used the mixed broccoli and cauliflower that's frozen and it works great too.
- Feel free to use whatever cheese you like or have on hand, I use extra sharp cheddar for this recipe.
- This is a great recipe to serve in a bread bowl!
- If the broccoli is in bigger chunks than I want, sometimes I'll use a potato masher to smash things up a bit. I have also ran an immersion blender through it (just a bit, I like a few chunks). I do this before I add the cornstarch and cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheddar broccoli soup, broccoli soup, cheesy broccoli soup, cheddar broccoli soup recipe, broccoli cheddar soup, broccoli cheese soup, how to make broccoli soup
Stove Top Cheddar Broccoli Soup is thick, creamy and packed with vegetables. It is just the soup you need when cooler temperatures roll in.