- 1 pastry for single-crust pie
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 ½ cups onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Roasted cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450℉. Prepare pastry for single-crust pie, crimping edge high to contain filling. Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy foil. Bake 8 minutes on a baking sheet; remove foil. Bake 5 more minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven. Reduce temperature to 325℉. (Pastry shell needs to be hot when filling is added. Don’t bake ahead of time).
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain and reserve 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet. Crumble bacon. Add onion to reserved drippings; cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender and starting to brown.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, milk, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in bacon and onion. In another bowl, combine cheese and flour. Stir to coat cheese. Add to egg mixture and stir well.
- Place the hot baked pastry shell on the oven rack; pour in egg mixture. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until edges are puffed and the center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.