- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 1 3/4 c. 1 % milk (this is cooking light… I did 1 cup whole milk and 3/4 c. whipping cream instead, don’t fear the fat people!)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. canned unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
- dash salt
- 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- Combine 6 T. sugar and 2 T. cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Place pan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in the milk and egg and combine well. Stirring constantly bring to a boil, cook 1 minutes, remove from heat.
- Combine pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt in a separate bowl and gradually add to the milk mixture whisking constantly. Place the pudding over low heat and cook for 3 minutes until throughly heated, but do not let boil. Divide pudding into 4 serving cups, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- Place remaining 2 T. of sugar, dash of salt, and nuts in a small skillet over low to medium low heat. Cook until sugar dissolves and is golden (about 3 minutes), stirring frequently to coat the nuts. Transfer to lightly greased wax paper and cool completely.
- Place cream in a bowl and beat with mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Serve pudding when chilled with nuts and whipped cream on top.