Homemade Wontons are made from store bought wonton wrappers, filled with everyday ingredients, and fried to perfection.
Cream cheese wontons make the perfect appetizer. They are semi-homemade so they are quick to whip up when you are in a hurry. They would be so fun at a baby shower, party, or game night.
Homemade Fried Cream Cheese Wontons
Wontons are a type of dumpling that is filled with various things like, pork, shrimp, chicken, or cheese. They are commonly found at Chinese restaurants as an appetizer.
I love trying to recreate my favorite restaurant foods at home. These homemade cream cheese wontons are made with cream cheese mixed with siracha, green onions, and fried to perfection. They taste as good as your favorite take-out food.
I like to use store bought wonton wrappers because it really speeds up the process. Mix up all of the ingredients and place in the delicate wrapper. Fold up the wonton and simply dip it really quick in hot oil. Serve immediately for best results.
What is the best oil to fry wontons?
Peanut oil is a great oil to fry wontons in because it has a higher smoke point and won’t burn the food as easily. However, you can also use vegetable oils if you don’t have peanut oil on hand.
Where can I find wonton wrappers?
You can find wonton wrappers in the freezer section of most grocery stores. I have seen them at Walmart too!
How do I fold wontons?
There are several ways to fold wontons. Some techniques are simple while others are pretty advanced. The easiest way is to fold the wonton wrapper into a triangle. Then bring the bottom corners together to complete the fold. I like to use a little water because it will act as glue and keep the ends sealed.
Recipes that go with Wontons:
If you’ve tried my easy wonton recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
Homemade Wontons are made from store bought wonton wrappers, filled with everyday ingredients, and fried to perfection. They’re easier than you think!
- 2 quarts of oil for frying (such as canola, vegetable, or corn oil)
- 1 package cream cheese (8 ounces), at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of sriracha hot sauce
- 1–2 tablespoon finely chopped green onions
- Wonton wrappers ( if unable to find wonton wrappers you can use egg roll wrappers cut into fourths)
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large Dutch oven or a heavy-bottomed and high-sided skillet, add the oil and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Use a paddle thermometer to gauge the temperature.
- While the oil is heating, mix the cream cheese, sriracha, and green onions together in a medium mixing bow.
- Place 1 ½ tablespoons of mixture in middle of a wonton wrapper.
- Brush 2 edges of the wrapper with beaten eggs and fold over bringing 2 opposite corners together to seal in filling (You are making a triangle when you fold it).
- Bring the 2 other corners together to form what looks like a little envelope.
- Repeat with remaining filling and wonton wrappers.
- When the oil is heated to 375 degrees F you are ready to fry.
- Working in batches, fry 6 or so wontons at a time, as to not over crowd the pan.
- Use a spider strainer to remove the wontons from the oil and place them on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wontons, working in batches.
- Eat the wontons right away while still hot.
- These are great dipped in sweet and sour sauce or sweet chili sauce.
- Category: side
- Method: fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make wontons, homemade wontons, wonton recipe, cream cheese wontons, cream cheese wonton recipe, fried wontons, how to fry wontons
Want To Save This Recipe?
I’m excited for you to try these homemade Wontons that are quick, easy, and delicious. They will be so fun to serve at your next party!