Ditch the box and make from your waffles from scratch! This easy and incredible homemade classic fluffy buttermilk waffle recipe uses only 7 ingredients. It's a simple recipe will quickly become a family favorite!
If you're family loves these classic buttermilk waffles, be sure to also check out these Extra Light and Fluffy Homemade Waffles. Looking for something a little different and outside the box? You'll love Crispy Ham and Cheese Waffles.
How To Make The Best Crisp Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles
You'll never go back to boxed waffle mix after trying this classic fluffy buttermilk waffle recipe! It is SO easy and SO delicious, and you only need 7 ingredients... most or many of which you probably already have in your pantry or cupboard. They turn out perfectly crisp on the outside and light on the inside with that classic buttermilk flavor that just makes everything a bit cozier and rich. We love this recipe when we want waffles fast because it's no-fuss and comes together in no time!
If you don't happen to have buttermilk on hand, no worries! It is beyond easy to make on your own at home and one of my favorite kitchen hacks. What you do is add one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a one-cup measuring cup, and fill the rest up with milk to the one-cup line. Do this for each cup of buttermilk you need in any recipe, including this one, and you've got quick and easy homemade buttermilk at your disposal! It's one of the coolest little kitchen tricks, and you'll be glad you have it in your back pocket the next time a rainy, slow Sunday morning rolls around.
What's the difference between buttermilk and homestyle waffles?
Buttermilk waffles have an oh-so-slight tang to them from the sourness within the buttermilk, and this ingredient also lends to much springier, fluffier waffles than regular homestyle, which are often a bit more dense inside and crispy on the outside.
How do you make homemade waffles crispy?
If your waffle maker has heat settings, turn up the heat to "dark" or the highest temperature if you prefer a crispier exterior. You can also just leave them in there for a bit longer than the cycle says, but be careful not to burn them. Plus, when they're all done, to keep them crispy, place them on a wire rack to cool, making sure not to stack them, which traps steam and can make them soggy.
How do you keep waffles warm and crispy?
To keep waffles warm and crunchy on the outside, heat the oven to 200 degrees F., place the done waffles in a single layer on a wire rack, and store them in the oven until ready to serve. This will keep them nice and toasty with a light crunch on the outside.
What is buttermilk waffle batter made of?
This batter couldn't be easier to mix up! It calls for 7 simple ingredients you may already have in your kitchen: flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, a light oil, and buttermilk. I've also had great success with using half oil and half applesauce -- it keeps things really moist and rich.
Ditch the box and make from your waffles from scratch! This easy and incredible homemade classic fluffy buttermilk waffle recipe uses only 7 ingredients.
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup light oil, such as canola, vegetable, or avocado oil
- 1 and ¾ cups buttermilk
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the eggs, oil, and buttermilk.
- Whisk all ingredients together until a thin and slightly lumpy batter forms.
- Pour the batter into your waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- When the waffle is done cooking, carefully place it on a wire rack to cool, taking care not to stack the waffles on top of each other. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve waffles hot with your favorite topping, such as buttermilk syrup, strawberries, and whipped cream.
- No buttermilk? No problem! For each cup of buttermilk, you can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let rest for 5 minutes before using.
- I have replaced half of the oil in this recipe with applesauce with great success.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: breakfast
- Method: waffle iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best buttermilk waffles, homemade waffles, fluffy waffle recipe, fluffy waffle mix, waffle recipe, buttermilk waffle batter, buttermilk waffles, easy waffles, buttermilk waffle recipe, classic waffle recipe,
Looking for more classic waffle recipes?
- Banana Waffles
- Easy Chocolate Waffle Recipe
- Classic Belgian Waffle Recipe
- The Best Homemade Whole Wheat Waffles Recipe
- Cornbread Waffles with Chili
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles
- Pumpkin Caramel Spice Waffles with Caramel Maple Syrup
- Sweet Cherry Waffles
Serve these waffles with:
- Homemade Buttermilk Syrup
- How to Cook Bacon in a Cast Iron Skillet
- How to Cook Bacon in the Air Fryer
- Baking Bacon in the Oven
- Blueberry Topping
This classic fluffy buttermilk waffle recipe is a breakfast party in your mouth, and it is one of the easiest waffle recipes to whip up for a filling and delicious breakfast!