- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 fresh poblano or 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Cook onions, peppers, garlic, and cumin for 3 to 4 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cilantro, and oregano. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover pot and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, beans, and corn. Heat through.
- While pot is simmering, preheat oven to 375℉.
- Cut tortillas in half. Cut halves into ½-inch-wide strips. Place strips on a baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve soup with tortilla strips.