Tangy and spicy with a hint of sweetness, this Boom Boom Sauce is one of the best dipping sauces around! Just grab a few low-cost ingredients and you can whip this Asian-inspired spicy mayo together in minutes!
The taste of boom boom sauce is out of this world! I am a big fan of all condiments and this one really hits the spot. The creamy and smooth texture with a burst of flavor and subtle spice will continue to bring you back for more. Whether you’re wanting a sauce for your french fries, onion rings, or to use on a grilled cheese sandwich, I would highly recommend trying boom boom sauce.
All you need are simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry and fridge, meaning you can make this anytime you want to elevate your meal with a tasty sauce.
Table Of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It incorporates so many different flavors to create an addicting sauce!
- Can be used as a dip, spread, or marinade!
- Only uses a few ingredients that you probably have on hand!
- Can be made ahead of time or on the spot and is ready in minutes!
What is Boom Boom Sauce?
Boom Boom Sauce is a mayonnaise based sauce that incorporates sweet and spicy flavors to create a perfectly balanced, versatile sauce! This sauce started to gain popularity from a chain of convenience stores in the East called Sheetz. They had this delicious sauce that they called ‘boom boom sauce’ and people have been trying to replicate it ever since! Although there are different versions, the signature taste of this sauce is the tang and spiciness it has, hence the name boom boom sauce. The taste is hard to explain, but once you try it you’ll know exactly why everyone is obsessed with it!
- Mayo—Acts as the base of your sauce. You can use regular or light mayo.
- Ketchup—Gives the sauce a slightly sweet and tangy flavor.
- Sriracha—To bring the heat to your sauce. You can also use any kind of red hot sauce you have.
- Seasonings— A combination of garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
Popular Substitutions and Variations
There are many different versions of boom boom sauce out there! Here are a few of the most common ways to modify your sauce:
- Make it vegan: if you want to make a vegan version of this sauce, you can use vegan mayo or avocado mayo!
- Add some more heat: you can bring on the heat by adding a pinch of red pepper flakes or a teaspoon of chili powder if you want it a little more spicy!
- Make it sweet: if you like your sauces a little sweeter, you can add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup!
How to Make Boom Boom Sauce
1. Gather all of your ingredients.
2. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. Make sure the dried spices are fully incorporated into the sauce.
4. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are so many different uses for boom boom sauce! You can use it as a dip alongside a burger, french fries, or onion rings since it tastes like a spicy version of fry sauce. Other things you can dip into this sauce include egg rolls, shrimp, crab Rangoons, or wontons. Instead of using it as a dip, you can also use it as a marinade for chicken or tofu if you mix it and allow it to sit in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. There is not one correct way to use this sauce, so play around with it and use it however you prefer!
With the similar names it can be easy to mix them up! These two sauces do have some of the same ingredients but the biggest difference is that yum yum sauce uses sugar so it is typically sweeter, and boom boom sauce is usually more spicy since it uses hot sauce or chili sauce.
- Some people use freshly minced garlic, but I prefer to use dried garlic because it is easier to incorporate and you won’t end up with any chunks.
- If you feel that your sauce is too thin, you can add a splash of water and mix it well to help it thin out a little bit more.
- When you are mixing the boom boom sauce, be sure to use a fork or whisk rather than a spoon so all of the ingredients blend together evenly.
How to Store Boom Boom Sauce
This boom boom sauce can stay good in the fridge for up to a week. If you have leftovers, or just want to make it ahead of time, you can cover your bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the sauce into an airtight container for safe storing. Once you’re ready to use it again, give it a quick stir and you’re good to go!
Boom Boom Sauce
- 2 cups mayo
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Make sure the dried spices are fully incorporated into the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This sauce is great served alongside fries and burgers. It tastes like a spicy version of fry sauce.
- I prefer using dried garlic as opposed to freshly minced garlic because it is easier to incorporate.
- You can store your sauce in the fridge for up to a week. Simply cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer your sauce to an airtight container.
- You can also use this sauce as a dip for egg rolls, crab Rangoon, or wontons.
- The salt helps bring out the flavor of the ketchup and sriracha.
- For some extra heat you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a teaspoon of cayenne chili powder to your sauce.