on Feb 12, 2024, Updated Feb 19, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Earthy beets, sweet apples, sliced almonds and feta cheese come together to make this simple and tasty Beet Salad. Serve this salad with your favorite homemade dressing for a quick and easy side dish!
Beet salad is something I look forward to making every year as the weather starts to get colder because it uses many ingredients that are in season during the fall and winter months!
I love the earthy and balanced flavor that comes from the combination of ingredients in this salad. While you can use any salad dressing, we tend to use a balsamic vinaigrette because of its sharp, sweet flavor.
One of the best parts about beet salad is that you can easily substitute many of the ingredients as long as you have each component. For example, if you don’t have sliced almonds, use candied pecans instead. Feel free to experiment with your salad and enjoy this fall inspired salad!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It has a light and fresh taste that makes for a nice fall salad.
- Easy to throw together and doesn’t lack in flavor.
- Can be modified to use ingredients you have on hand.
- Sliced Beets—Can be found on the canned goods aisle of your local grocery store.
- Spring Salad Mix—This is the base of your salad, so pick your favorite greens mix!
- Apples—You can use any kind of apple! I prefer Honeycrisp or Pink Lady for some sweetness.
- Sliced Almonds—Adds an earthy crunch to your salad.
- Feta Cheese—Can be replaced with blue cheese for some extra sharpness.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How to Make Beet Salad
Step #1. Dice apples and prepare other ingredients.
Step #2. Fold all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.
Step #3. Make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Step #4. Top with your favorite salad dressing. Serve and enjoy!
In order to avoid over-saturating your salad in liquid, you will want to drain your canned beets before using them. I like to pour my beets into a colander or strainer to ensure I get rid of as much liquid as possible before adding the beets to my salad.
You can use any salad dressing with this beet salad! We love how the sharp sweetness of a homemade or store-bought balsamic dressing pairs with the flavors in the salad. Another good option would be a sweet Greek yogurt dressing. You can make your own Greek yogurt dressing by whisking together 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt, the juice and zest of one lemon, and a tablespoon of maple syrup or honey.
Absolutely! I use canned beets to cut down on prep time, but if you have fresh beets feel free to use those in your beet salad. You can slice your beets or cut them into small chunks. You will want to either boil or roast them until they are fork tender. There is no need to peel the beets before cooking them. Once they are done you can throw them into your salad!
- The feta cheese helps balance the sweetness of the beets and apples. If you don’t have feta, we recommend using blue cheese or grated parmesan.
- When working with beets, be aware that they can stain anything very easily. Avoid contact with your counter top or clothes to be safe.
- If you plan on having leftovers, add the salad dressing to half of the salad or on the side when serving. This way the dressing will not cause the salad mix to get soggy while sitting in the fridge.
- Be sure to rinse your spring salad mix before using it! I would recommend using a salad spinner, which makes it easier to rinse off the greens as well as dry them off before you continue to make the salad.
How to Serve and Store Beet Salad
Beet salad can be served as a side dish to many main dishes! It pairs well with lemon garlic chicken, pork chops, or lasagna. This recipe is easy to make ahead of time and in bulk, making it a great option for potlucks and family gatherings. If you have any leftovers, store this salad in the fridge for no longer than 3 days. After about 3 days the greens will start to wilt.
Popular Substitutions and Variations
There are different ingredients you can add to mix up your beet salad and add different flavors and nutrients! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Shredded chicken
- Goat cheese
- Pumpkin seeds
- Swiss chard
More Salad Recipes to Consider
- 1 15 ounce can sliced beets
- 6 cups spring salad mix
- 1 ¼ cup diced apple
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ¾ cup feta cheese
- Use two large spoons or some serving tongs to fold all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Top the salad with your favorite salad dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
- We like to serve this salad with a light balsamic vinaigrette. A sweet Greek yogurt dressing is great too. Simply whisk together 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt, the juice and zest of one lemon, and a tablespoon of maple syrup or honey.
- You can store your salad in the fridge for up to 3 days. After that the salad will start to wilt.
- In addition to using sliced almonds you can also use candied pecans or chopped walnuts.
- You can use any kind of apple in this recipe.
- The feta cheese helps balance the sweetness of the beets and apple.