on Jun 16, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These homemade Baked Meatballs are a simple comfort food that are perfect for everything from appetizers and subs to a quick pasta dish. Although a simple recipe, the tender and juicy Italian flavor of these meatballs will leave even the pickiest eaters wanting more!
My favorite thing about these meatballs is that they can be served so many ways! You can pair them with pastas, soups, salads, or serve them on their own with a side of garlic bread and vegetables. These easy baked meatballs can be made in under 30 minutes, yet they have a rich flavor that you don’t get in frozen, store-bought meatballs. This is a recipe that is sure to impress your family, friends, and dinner guests. Everyone will ask for seconds if not thirds!
Whether you use ground beef, chicken, turkey, or lamb, the gently browned outside of these meatballs will give you a soft crunch as you bite into the juicy and flavorful inside. The subtle Italian flavor of these meatballs pairs well with all your favorite sauces—marinara, alfredo, and pesto! No matter how you serve them, these baked meatballs will add a tasty and tender element to any meal!
We Love This Recipe Because It’s…
- A one bowl, 30-minute meal
- Tasty on its own or when paired with other entrees
- Bursting with savory flavors
- Made with only 6 ingredients
- Ground Beef—Or ground chicken, turkey, or lamb.
- Egg—acts as the binding agent and adds tenderness.
- Italian Breadcrumbs—keeps the meatballs soft and moist while also adding tons of great flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese—freshly grated will add the best flavor and texture.
- Italian Seasoning—A premade blend or a homemade mix of basil, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Parsley—Freshly chopped.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, and parsley.
- Use your hands to work the mixture until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form the mixture into balls and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake until the meatballs are cooked all the way through and browned on the outside.
- Serve with your favorite pasta, sauce, or side dish. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
When making a large quantity of meatballs, it is cleaner and quicker to bake them in the oven! Pan cooking meatballs gets messy and can cause the beef to cook unevenly. Baking these meatballs will ensure that they cook through and brown nicely.
These meatballs cook fast enough in the oven that there is no need to cover them. You will actually be able to taste a richer flavor and see better browning on the outside if you leave them uncovered!
If you want to add more color and a rich flavor to your meatballs, you can brown them slightly before baking. This step is completely optional, so don’t worry if you are on a tight schedule!
How to Store and Serve Easy Baked Meatballs
Any leftover baked meatballs can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. They will be best reheated in the microwave, or you can reheat them on the stove with some marinara sauce and serve with a fresh green salad on the side!
My family loves to use these juicy meatballs for meatball subs! Use French bread, marinara sauce, and some provolone or extra parmesan cheese for a warm and delicious sandwich. You can also throw them on top of your favorite pasta dish to add some protein!
When serving these meatballs on their own, I always top them with extra parsley and parmesan for a completed look. You can round out this dish even further by serving it with a side of vegetables such as green beans, carrots, or peas.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to line your baking sheet with parchment paper. If you cook the meatballs directly on the pan, they might stick when you go to serve them.
- When mixing the ground beef and other ingredients together, be careful not to overwork the meat, as this will cause your meatballs to become tough while cooking.
- Try to make each of your meatballs roughly the same size—this will ensure that they all cook evenly.
- If you find that these baked meatballs are too dry, feel free to add a small splash of water to your mixture.
- Healthy Turkey Meatballs
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce
- Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs and Tomato Sauce
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
If you’ve tried this Baked Meatballs recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ⅔ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Use your hands to work the ingredients together until homogenous. Make sure that the spices are evenly distributed throughout the beef.
- Divide the ground beef into balls about 1½ inches in diameter and place them on the baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake your meatballs for 17 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Serve your meatballs with your favorite side or pasta and enjoy!
- You can store these meatballs in the fridge for up to 3 days. They are best reheated in the microwave or on the stove with some marinara sauce.
- These meatballs work great with spaghetti, subs, etc.
- I like to sprinkle a little bit of extra parmesan cheese and some extra parsley.
- It is important to line your baking sheet with parchment paper. If you cook the meatballs directly on the pan, you will risk the meatballs sticking when you try to remove them.
- The egg helps to hold the meatballs, spices, and breadcrumbs together.
These easy beef baked meatballs recipe are done in under 30 minutes and taste way better than the frozen store-bought variety. This is a dish thatyour family, friends, and dinner guests will rave about.