- 3 T. butter
- 1 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 stalks of broccoli
- 4-6 cups chicken broth (or water + bullion paste)
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cubed
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant. While the onion is cooking, finely chop the broccoli and add it to the crock pot. Once the garlic and onions are cooked add them to the crock pot. Add enough chicken broth to cover all of the vegetables, it should take 4 to 6 cups. Add the salt and pepper to the crock pot. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until the broccoli is cooked through and very tender.
- 30 minutes before serving add the evaporated milk, cream cheese, cheddar, and Parmesan to the hot broccoli mixture and stir until everything is melted. Working in batches, process the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth (if you have in emulsion blender that would work great too). I blended half of the soup and left half of it chunky Blend as much as you like to get the texture you prefer. Add all of the blended soup back to the crock pot and let it reheat until you are ready to serve. Once the soup it hot serve, turn off the crock pot and serve right away.
Be careful blending that hot soup... seriously. I've gotten a nasty burn before when blending soup.
Using cream in place of the evaporated milk would be yummy, but don't use milk (it might curdle).
Behind the scenes of picture taking complete with props, a gray card, and a “helper”:
Don’t throw those stems away. Just peel off the woody outside (like peeling a potato) and then chop up what’s in the middle.
Cheesy, creamy goodness. Who wants a bowl?
Thanks for stoppin’ by!