I am a soup person through and through. During the colder winter months (and to be honest, even when it’s not that cold) I find myself gravitating toward soup. Roasted Tomato Soup is colorful, smooth, and rich without a trace of cream.
Who can resist the way the air gets steamy and thick when soup simmers, the smell that fills the house and greets you as you walk in the door, and the calming warmth as you eat spoonful after spoonful. Soup really is medicine for the soul.
Roasted Tomato Soup
The roasted tomatoes and fresh basil in this recipe blend together in such a way that the flavor gets so deep and savory! This tomato soup is surprisingly simple to make and tastes delicious to boot.
Toppings for roasted tomato soup can be as simple or complex as you’d like. I love to devour this soup steaming hot without anything other than a big pile of basil for garnish, but the options are endless for toppings and can bring a new element to the soup each time you make it.
Some soup topping ideas include, cheddar and pepper gougeres (cheese puffs), croutons or top with a swirl of fresh cream.
What can you serve with roasted tomato soup?
I like to serve tomato soup with a nice carb-y bread. My favorites are these amazing and surprisingly simple homemade baguettes, a loaf of crusty sourdough bread, or my mom's jumbo dinner rolls. All of those are excellent options.
How can I spice up tomato soup?
If you are looking for a twist, you can swap out the canned tomatoes with fire roasted tomatoes and the basil with cilantro, then serve it with quesadillas.
What tomatoes are best for this homemade tomato soup?
You can use any tomatoes you like. I have used grape tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, vine tomatoes or a mixture of them which happens to be my favorite. You'll love that you can use what you like or have on hand. It's a very flexible recipe.
Ideas for serving:
- I love this steaming hot without anything other than a big pile of basil for garnish.
- I used to love this with cheddar and pepper gougeres (cheese puffs).
- For a twist, you can swap out the canned tomatoes with fire roasted tomatoes and the basil with cilantro, then serve it with quesadillas.
- Swirl in a bit of fresh cream. It will be rich and delicious without being overwhelmingly thick.
More soup recipes:
- Quick and Easy Tortellini Soup with Spinach
- The Best Instant Pot Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings Soup
- Classic Minestrone Soup
If you’ve tried this tomato basil soup recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
This thick and creamy soup is made with both fresh and canned tomatoes and it only take 30 or so minutes to come together! You'll make this one over and over again.
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1 medium onion, large diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounces
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Toss the fresh tomatoes and onion in olive oil. Spread out onto a baking sheet and season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 40-60 minutes, or until blistered and blackened around the edges.
- Scoop the roasted tomatoes into a soup pot. Add garlic, canned tomatoes, and broth. Add in the basil.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and simmer soup for at least 15-30 minutes, or up to an hour.
- Working in batches, puree the soup till smooth in a blender or food processor. (If you have an immersion blender, you can use it directly in the pot of soup).
- Taste and add additional salt or pepper to taste. Garnish with additional fresh basil.
- Use any tomatoes you like here--grape tomatoes, Romas, vine tomatoes... or a mixture (my favorite)
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make tomato soup, tomato basil soup, tomato basil soup recipe, roasted tomato soup, roasted tomato soup recipe, homemade tomato soup
Roasted Tomato Soup is the kind of meal that will warm your belly and your heart. You will never want to go back to the canned soup variety once you make this recipe!
Absolutely love this recipe. Perfectly creamy and delicious while not being overly fattening. And Gluten Free, too! Keep up the good work, Bless! Love your site!