My Favorite Frosting for Sugar Cookies is buttery, creamy, and fluffy to ice your favorite cookies or any other dessert that calls for simple icing.
My Favorite Frosting for Sugar Cookies
You couldn't ask for a simpler icing, both in its ingredients and how to make it, and it is oh-so delicious. Sugar cookies are a favorite around our home because of the many ways to make them personalized between all the shapes and decorating options... And because they taste so good! So, of course, I had to come up with what I believe is the best frosting for these favorite cookies of ours, and I think I may just have done it.
I've kept things pretty basic here -- all you need is butter, heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. For how easy it is, the flavor is surprisingly rich and luxurious. I mean, it doesn't get much better than a fluffy frosting that's equally buttery and creamy, with just a touch of vanilla notes. I salivate just thinking about it!
This one's a great contender to customize with food coloring. I like to make a batch of it, section it out into small bowls, and dye each bowl a different color so the kids and I can create artistic cookies with ease! It's also a great consistency to be able to add it to a piping bag for more intricate designs.
How long does sugar cookie icing last?
This frosting will last up to 5 days covered in the fridge. Just bring it to room temperature before using because it'll be hard as a rock right out of the fridge.
How long will decorated sugar cookies last?
Decorated sugar cookies should last for 4 to 5 days in an airtight container.
Can you freeze decorated sugar cookies?
You sure can! Place the cookies in layers separated by parchment or wax paper in an airtight container. You might risk slightly squishing them, so don't stack them too high, and leave plenty of space to securely close the lid on the container.
How long do you let sugar cookies cool before icing?
The cookies (or cake, or other dessert) should be totally cool before icing them. If they're hot or even slightly warm, you'll risk the frosting melting off the cookies. I like to give them a solid 45 minutes to an hour-plus before icing. They'll also cool quicker if you place them on a cooling rack!
If you're applying sprinkles or other decorative items, like candy, add them to the cookies immediately after icing. If you wait too long, the icing dries a bit and gets somewhat of a crust, so things won't stick as well.
My favorite frosting is buttery, creamy, and fluffy to ice your favorite sugar cookies or any other dessert that calls for simple icing.
½ cup butter, at room temperature
3-4 tablespoons heavy cream, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2.5-3 cups powdered sugar
- Add the butter and cream to the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix on medium speed with the whisk attachment, until the butter and cream combine.
- Increase the speed to high and mix for 3 to5 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides a time or two.
- Add the vanilla and 2.5 cups of the powdered sugar. Mix on low until combined, and then increase speed to medium and whip for 1 to 2 minutes.
- The consistency of the icing is important if you are going to ice sugar cookies with it. It should be a soft-medium consistency and firm, but soft enough to spread with a butter knife.
- If the icing is too thick, mix in a little cream. If it needs to be a little thicker, add a ¼ cup of powdered sugar, and whip to combine until it’s sturdy enough.
- Use icing to frost around 2 dozen medium sugar cookies. It also pipes well, if you'd like to put it in piping bags with tips.
- This is a great recipe to add food coloring to if you'd like to decorate seasonal sugar cookies. I'll often make a batch, divide it into smaller bowls, and dye each bowl colors.
- You are going to add sprinkles to the cookies, do so just after spreading the frosting. They'll stick better that way. If you wait until the frosting has time to set, it forms a bit of a crust, so sprinkles won't stick as well.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: icing, frosting, sugar cookies, cookie recipe
You might also like these cookie recipes:
- My Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Halloween Sugar Cookies
- Soft and Puffy Greek Yogurt Sugar Cookies
- Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
- Grandma Lucy's Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Fruit Pizza Sugar Cookies
My favorite sugar cookie frosting is buttery, creamy, and fluffy to ice your favorite sugar cookies or any other dessert that calls for simple icing. I've made icing recipe for all kinds of cookies including to top gingerbread cookies, sugar cookies, and sandwich cookies.