Instant pot chicken and wild rice soup is made with chicken, vegetables, wild rice and broth. It is tasty, hearty, and can be made in a jiffy.
Soup makes cold, winter nights feels so warm and cozy. I love lighting a fire and enjoying hot soup after a chilly day. I especially love a soup that can be thrown in the instant pot and it does all of the work for you!
Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
I love a recipe that tastes delicious but doesn’t create a giant explosion in the kitchen. This chicken and wild rice soup is a one pot wonder. You sauté the vegetables first. Then add chicken, Uncle Ben’s wild rice and some broth. The combination of flavors and textures in this soup are just delightful.
This soup becomes extra creamy when you finish it with milk, half and half, and cream cheese. Voila- you’re done! I can almost taste it now.
What should I serve with chicken and wild rice soup?
This soup is great on it’s own. You can also serve with a simple tossed salad and a fresh loaf of bread. I have a list of serving suggestion links right above the recipe card for you!
What is wild rice?
Wild rice isn’t actually rice at all. It is a species of grass the produces edible seeds that look like rice. Fun fact of the day! Wild rice is higher in protein than other rice or grains, making it a healthier option. Brown rice can work in this recipe as well. It can be a little hard to find on it's own, that's why are using a box of Uncle Ben's rice (it's a good blend!).
Can I make chicken and wild rice soup vegetarian?
Yes! You can substitute the chicken for a can of chickpeas and replace the chicken broth with vegetable stock and you will still end up with a tasty final product.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Onion, carrot, and celery (a perfect soup trio)
- Chicken breasts (can sub boneless skinless thighs)
- Uncle Ben’s Long-Grain and Wild Rice (easy way to find long grain rice)
- Cream cheese, milk , and half-and-half (makes it so creamy!)
More Instant Pot recipes:
- Simple Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- The Best Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- How to Use an Instant Pot (or Electric Pressure Cooker)
- Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
What to serve with this Instant Pot Soup:
- Easy Sourdough Focaccia Bread
- The Best Homemade Cornbread Recipe (seriously the best, read the reviews!)
- Super Simple No-Knead Bread
- Easy Apple Cabbage Salad with Pecans
Thick and creamy Instant Pot chicken and wild rice soup is a hearty one pot soup that is quick and easy to make with common kitchen ingredients! And you'll love that it only has a 5 minute cook time.
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cans (14.5 fluid oz. each) chicken broth
- 1 pkg. (6 oz) Uncle Ben’s Long-Grain and WIld Rice (discard seasoning packet)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- dash red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon cold water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Select “Browning/Sauté” option on your electric pressure cooker.
- Melt butter in the pot. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, chicken broth, rice, parsley, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Lock the lid, place the valve to the sealing position, and select the “High Pressure” option and 5 minutes cook time. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker. After 5 minutes, do the quick pressure release.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water. Select the “Simmer/Sauté” and add the slurry to the pot, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in milk and half-and-half.
- Heat through, without boiling, and serve.
- Feel free to sub the Uncle Bens rice with ¾ of a cup of brown rice or another rice mix that you have on hand.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot chicken and wild rice soup, chicken and wild rice, chicken and wild rice soup, chicken and rice, chicken and rice soup
This recipe is from my friend Barbara's cookbook (it's amazing!) It's called the Electric Pressure Cooker cookbook and if you are new to Instant Pots or other electric pressure cookers, I highly recommend you get the book. Everything I have made has turned out amazing! You can find Barbara and her food blog, Pressure Cooking Today here, and her cookbooks can be found here.
This is a quick instant pot recipe that takes only 5 minuets of cook time. Add chicken breast, veggies, and uncle ben's rice box, and some broth to the instant pot and you finish it with milk, half and half, and cream cheese to make it creamy, fast and easy comfort food.
You are going to want to put this Instant Pot chicken and wild rice soup on your meal plan for this week. It is hearty, delicious, and will fill your home with such a cozy vibe. I can’t wait for you to try it.