Rice pudding is one of the most delicious and easy desserts, made with warming cinnamon, condensed milk, and sugar to make a creamy, delectable sweet treat!
And it comes together so quickly and easily to make for a perfect dessert when entertaining or even for a simple weeknight sweet after dinner with your family!
Homemade Rice Pudding
Rice pudding is one of those desserts that looks fancy and complicated, but secretly, it’s the easiest thing ever to make on your own! I think when we think of pudding, we assume it’s going to take forever to make because traditional puddings take a while to set. But this one is ready to eat as soon as it’s done cooking, and you’ll be happy to dig in right away! Made with cinnamon, condensed milk, rice, and sugar, it has minimal ingredients but the best flavor and texture ever.
I love rice pudding in the chillier months because of the warming cinnamon, and because it’s served warm, too! It’s a cozy, comforting dessert that just feels like home. Anyone can make it, whether you love to bake or prefer to not measure ingredients just so — either way, this rice pudding is impossible to mess up. And if you prefer a less creamy and sweet version, I’ve used half the milk and sugar before and it still turned out wonderful. Give it a try! You won’t be disappointed.
How do you thicken rice pudding?
There are a couple ways to thicken rice pudding! Just letting it cool a bit naturally thickens the pudding because the rice absorbs more of the liquid. Or you can mix in a beaten egg, slowly whisking it in to allow it to cook into the mixture and thicken it up.
Is rice pudding good for your health?
Rice pudding is definitely a healthier alternative to other desserts with more sugar in them. Plus, it has fiber and complex carbs from the rice, which is a win! But you know me — I’m all about enjoying yourself and eating what you like in moderation.
How long does homemade rice pudding last?
Homemade rice pudding will keep in your fridge for about 4 days. Pro tip: add fruit on top for a delicious breakfast or snack!
Can you freeze rice pudding?
Store rice pudding in a freezer-safe, airtight container for up to 3 months. But for this one, I always recommend to eat it sooner. The sooner you eat it, the better it tastes in my opinion!
Rice pudding is one of the most delicious desserts, made with warming cinnamon, condensed milk, and sugar to make a creamy, delectable sweet treat!
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Bring water with cinnamon sticks to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low, add rice and cook until tender (15 to 20 minutes).
- Turn heat to medium low and add canned milk and sugar. Stir and cook for 2 minutes longer to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat, and serve hot with cinnamon sprinkled on top.
- I have made this with half the sugar and half a can of sweetened condensed milk and it was still great; you can adjust the sweetener to taste.
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy rice pudding recipe, homemade rice pudding, rice pudding recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
Other easy no bake desserts you’ll love:
- 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Honey Granola Bars (no bake)
- No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Energy Balls
- No-Bake Scotcheroos
- 8 No-Bake Oatmeal Energy Balls
- Easy Healthy No-Bake Cheesecake
- No-Bake Chocolate-Covered Fluffernutter Cookies
- Blueberry Muffin Date Balls (healthy, no-bake treat)
- Healthy Coconut No-Bake Cookies
This post was originally published in 2010, and has been updated and rephotographed in December 2019.
Homemade rice pudding is such a tasty treat and will warm you up from the insider out with it’s creamy, warm, cinnamon-filled flavors! You’ll love how easy it is to make, too.