The best and easiest chocolate chip granola bar recipe ever, and the best part – it includes peanut butter too!
Fast, easy, kid-friendly snacks are the name of the game when it comes to summer-eating in our house and this peanut butter chocolate chip granola bar recipe is one of our favorites. It’s super simple to make, the kids love them, they travel and store well, and I normally have everything on hand to make them.
We love these whole grain sweet treats for easy snacks to take the to pool, on trips to the park, and to share with friends while all of the neighborhood kids are jumping on the trampoline. You just can’t beat that classic chocolate and peanut butter combination. Everyone loves these!
Tips and Tricks to making this Chocolate Chip Granola Bar Recipe
- How long you let the sugar/honey mixture cook will determine how sticky or hard your granola bars are. I like mine to come to a nice bubble for 30 seconds to 1 minute. This makes a granola bar recipe that sticks together but is still “chewy”. If you let the mixture boil for 2 minutes you’ll get a crunchier granola bar (be sure to stir while the mixture cooks).
- You can easily double this recipe and put it in a 9×13 inch dish if you need lots of granola bars in your life. They keep well and last even longer in the fridge.
- I love making these on my meal prep day to have on hand all week long.
- You can cut these into different shapes which make them fun to pack in lunches (I have these mini metal cookies cutters that we love to use for these and other lunch box fun).
- Food allergies? I’m sure that coconut oil and dairy-free chocolate chips would work for this recipe if you are dairy free. Gluten-free oats will also work great (make sure you get allergen-friendly chocolate chips too).
- Love granola bars? Here are 8 more recipes for homemade granola bars, all in one place!
Craving more? Subscribe to Bless this Mess to get new recipes, meal plans, and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, pin it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #blessthismesseats on Instagram. I love to see your kitchen skills in action!
The Best Chocolate Chip Granola Bar Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 12 to 16 bars
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment or foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Place the oats on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly toasted.
- While the oats are toasting, add the honey, butter, and brown sugar to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Let the mixture come to a light bubble for 1 minute while stirring. When butter mixture is ready, remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, and peanut butter.
- Add the toasted oats and the peanuts to a large bowl. Pour the honey mixture over the oat and nut mixture and stir to combine. Stir to combine. Make sure none of the oats are dry.
- Place all of the oat mixture in the prepared pan. Use a rubber spatula or the bottom of a greased measuring cup to press the mixture into the pan.
- Let this cool for about 10 minutes before sprinkling the mini chocolate chips over the top. Press the chocolate chips into the granola bars with the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Chill the granola bars for at least 2 hours. Lift the bars from the pan using the edges of the foil or parchment and place them on a cutting board. Cut into desired shape and size and serve.
These store very well in the fridge or freezer. You may want to wrap them in a bit of parchment paper before putting them in a container or plastic bag in the fridge so that they don’t stick together.
Carry on summer mama warriors! It’s not always sunshine and roses but you’ve got this. Chocolate chip granola bars will help!