Chicken Stew with Dumplings is a hearty slow cooker meal that is the epitome of comfort food.
This dish features a thick stew made with chicken thighs, carrots, onions, and celery. Start by cooking the chicken and vegetables. Then you add in cream and peas. The best part is the dumplings. They cook up light and fluffy. You will love these little numbers-totally makes the dish.
Chicken Stew with Dumplings
There is nothing better than prepping a meal in the slow cooker in the morning and then when dinner rolls around it’s a cinch. You will love that this meal is simple but so delicious.
On cold, wintery nights, your family will warm up fast with Chicken Stew and dumplings. The dumplings are the last step in the cooking process. They are made from flour, milk, and butter. When you only have an hour left of cook time, add the dumplings on top of the chicken and veggies.
What to serve with chicken stew and dumplings?
This can really be a one pot wonder. However, if you feel like you need a side dish, try steamed broccoli or green beans or you can add a simple green salad.
Why are my dumplings hard?
There is nothing worse than hard dumplings. Make sure not to overmix the dough or they will be dense and tough.
How long will it take for the dumplings to cook?
They are usually done in 1hour. Open the lid as little as possible to check on them because the slow cooker will lose heat quickly and your dumplings might not turn out well.
This recipe comes from my friend Alli’s new cookbook! Her beautiful cookbook is called Rustic Farmhouse Slow Cooker and it’s just what you would imagine, all kinds of rich and heart slow cooker recipes! She’s done a great job and this recipe is from the book.
Ingredients in chicken stew:
- Veggies – carrots, celery, onion, peas, and garlic: simple things that always taste great together. I loved the sweet peas!
- Chicken thighs: such a great meat for the crock pot because it doesn’t dry out.
- Fresh rosemary and fresh thyme: these are a bit of splurge sometimes but fresh herbs really brighten up slow cooker meals.
- Butter, milk, cream: this is what makes the stew thick and creamy!
- Simple dumpling ingredients: you can’t beat a good dumpling and it really makes this a one pot dinner recipe.
More slow cooker recipes:
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Legs
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili
- Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork
- Garlic and Herb Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot
Chicken Stew with Dumplings is a hearty slow cooker meal that is full of veggies, meaty chicken, and simple dumplings for a hearty meal!
For the Chicken Stew:
- 1 cup small-dice carrots
- ⅓ cup small-dice celery
- ½ cup small-dice yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup frozen peas
For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, minced
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and chicken broth in a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and chicken broth. Add mixture to the slow cooker.
- Lay chicken thighs on top of vegetables and broth.
- Add rosemary, thyme, and butter on top of the chicken.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Make the dumplings while the stew is cooking. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, rosemary, and thyme. Add milk and melted butter and stir until combined and a loose dough has formed.
- When the stew finished cooking, remove chicken thighs. Shred chicken and add it back to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the heavy cream, milk, and peas to the slow cooker.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the dumpling dough onto the stew, placing it evenly over the top. Cook the dumplings for an additional hour on high.
- Serve hot.
- The dumplings will look damp on the edges, but will be cooked all the way through on the inside.
- This recipe is from my friend Alli’s new cookbook! You can purchase the full cookbook, Rustic Farmhouse Slow Cooker from this link.
- Category: main dish
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken stew recipe, slow cooker chicken stew, crock pot chicken stew, chicken stew with dumplings
Want To Save This Recipe?
Thick stew made with chicken thighs, carrots/onion/celery in the slow cooker. You cook the chicken and veggies and then you add in cream and peas. Plus there are some dumplings you make from flour, milk, and butter that you add on top for the last hour, so the chicken stew has dumplings and it’s made in the slow cooker
You are going to love this Chicken Stew with Dumplings. The slow cooker does all of the heavy lifting and you just get to enjoy a hearty, delicious meal. I can’t wait for you to try it!