Baked Chicken Parmesan is a quick and easy version of an Italian restaurant staple—not to mention it’s a bit healthier! Made with juicy chicken breast, Italian-spiced breadcrumbs, marinara sauce, and fresh mozzarella cheese, this oven-baked parmesan chicken is the perfect addition to your next pasta night.
My family always looks forward to pasta night! However, when we’re getting sick of eating the same few dishes over and over again, I like to switch things up with this easy baked chicken parmesan. Rich and hearty, this oven baked breaded chicken dish is always a huge hit with the adults and kids alike. I find that the fresh mozzarella is really what takes this dish to the next level! Pair your saucy, cheesy chicken with a side of tender spaghetti and you’ve got a decadent meal fit for a king!
- Chicken Breasts—Sliced into thin fillets.
- Parmesan Cheese—Grated will mix best into the breadcrumbs.
- Mozzarella Cheese—Fresh and thickly sliced will give the finished dish the best flavor and texture.
- Breadcrumbs—A mixture of panko breadcrumbs for crunch and Italian breadcrumbs for flavor.
- Marinara Sauce—Your favorite jarred sauce or homemade recipe.
- Eggs—Help the breadcrumbs stick to the chicken breasts.
How to Make Oven Baked Parmesan Chicken
- In a shallow disk, whisk the eggs.
- Dunk each chicken breast fillet in the eggs. Set aside.
- In a large plastic bag, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, Italian breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the egg-coated chicken to the bag, seal, and shake until the filets are thoroughly coated in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the breaded chicken on a baking sheet and cook in the oven until the outsides are golden brown.
- Top the parmesan chicken with some marinara sauce and the fresh mozzarella. Bake again until the cheese is completely melted.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
They’re the same dish! Restaurants will sometimes label chicken parmesan as “chicken parmigiana” on their menu to highlight the dish’s Italian origins.
I recommend baking this dish in a 425°F oven until a thermometer inserted into the center of the thickest chicken fillet reads 165°F. Because this dish calls for thinly sliced chicken, it should only take about 20 minutes for the meat to cook.
There are a few reasons why your finished chicken parm might be watery. First, your mozzarella might have too much moisture in it. I recommend patting your slices of fresh mozzarella cheese dry before adding them to the top of the chicken fillets. Second, if you’re serving this chicken parmesan over spaghetti, you might not have drained your pasta thoroughly enough. Any leftover moisture in the pasta will only add to the potential wateriness of this dish.
How to Serve and Store Baked Chicken Parmesan
Keep things classic and serve this rich and gooey baked parmesan chicken over a bed of spaghetti with a little extra marinara sauce. Or get fancy and serve your oven baked chicken over mashed or roasted potatoes. Pair the dish with a side of steamed broccoli, homemade garlic bread, or a Caesar salad. Oh, and don’t forget to garnish your dish with a bit of fresh parsley, basil, red pepper flakes, or a balsamic glaze.
Although this baked parmesan chicken is best served fresh, you can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. The leftover oven baked chicken won’t be as crispy as it was originally, but it can be easily reheated in a 350°F oven or the microwave until warmed through. Add more marinara sauce as deemed necessary.
Make a vegetarian version of this recipe by swapping out the chicken breasts for thick slices of eggplant! You’ll first bread the slices of eggplant, then layer them into a greased baking dish. Bake the slices in a 400°F oven until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside—about 35 minutes—flipping the fruit halfway through the cook time. Garnish the eggplant with marinara and mozzarella and bake again until the cheese has melted. Serve this classic eggplant parmesan with your favorite Italian side dishes!
Traditionally, chicken parmesan is made by deep frying the chicken breasts, not baking them. You can make a traditional version of this recipe by breading the chicken as normal, then placing the filets one at a time into a pot of canola oil that’s about 325°F. Fry the chicken for 12-15 minutes or until they’re a deep golden-brown color. Dry the chicken with paper towels before topping with marinara and mozzarella and broiling. Once the cheese has melted, serve this crispy chicken parmesan over spaghetti and enjoy!
Make your baked parmesan chicken keto-friendly by omitting the breadcrumbs. Instead, coat the chicken breasts in the eggs and then just the grated parmesan cheese. Then, simply bake and top the chicken as normal! Serve with a side of veggie noodles or cauliflower rice and enjoy!
- The Best Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
- Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Legs
- Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken Legs
- The BEST Baked Chicken Breast
- How to Cook a Whole Baked Chicken
If you’ve tried this Baked Chicken Parmesan recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 cups panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and slice both chicken breasts horizontally to create 4 thin pieces.
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow dish until they are thoroughly beaten and then dip each piece of chicken in the eggs. Ensure that the chicken is fully coated in the eggs.
- Transfer all four pieces of chicken to a Ziploc bag with the panko bread crumbs, Italian bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese. Shake the bag for about a minute, ensuring that the chicken is evenly coated in the bread crumb mixture.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until the top of the chicken is golden brown and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Top the chicken with a few spoonfuls of marinara sauce and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Return the pan to the oven for 5 more minutes to give the cheese time to melt.
- Remove the pan from the oven, serve, and enjoy!
- If you do not have freshly sliced mozzarella, you can also use shredded mozzarella.
You can usually find fresh mozzarella logs near the deli section of your local grocery store.
- If you don’t have Italian bread crumbs you can use regular bread crumbs and add 1 teaspoon of basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- This chicken parmesan recipe is best served fresh, but can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Your leftovers can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven until warm in the middle. It also reheats well in the air fryer.
- I like to use plain marinara sauce in this recipe, but you can use your favorite red sauce.
- Tossing the chicken in a Ziploc bag helps get them evenly coated and helps save time on cleanup.
Baked Chicken Parmesan is a great dish to make when you need to serve something fresh and delicious. Easy to make and your whole family will love it.