Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
on Feb 02, 2024, Updated Feb 13, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. These Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are full of savory and spicy flavors! They are easy to prepare and ready in less than 15 minutes, what more could you want?
Sweet potatoes are one of the easiest vegetables to prepare and cook since they have so much versatility. I always make sure to have sweet potatoes on hand so I can throw together an easy side dish or dice them up for a yummy breakfast hash.
While there is no wrong way to make sweet potatoes, this recipe is one of the best! The spices work together to contrast the natural hint of sweetness that this vegetable contains, and the red pepper flakes add some subtle heat. The air fryer makes light work of cooking these sweet potatoes, which is extremely convenient on busy nights.
New to air frying? Learn all about air frying here.
Table of Contents
- Sweet Potatoes—Peeled and diced.
- Olive oil—Helps make sure the spices adhere to the potatoes and ensure the potatoes crisp up.
- Spices—A savory mix of dried oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Step #1. Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Then preheat your air fryer and gather the remaining ingredients.
Step #2. Toss your sweet potatoes in the olive oil and spices. Make sure the diced potatoes are evenly coated in both oil and spices.
Step #3. Transfer the sweet potatoes to the air fryer basket and cook.
Step #4. Give the potatoes a quick toss halfway through cooking. Serve and enjoy!
Absolutely! Using frozen, pre-cubed sweet potatoes is a great way to save some time and energy! You can pour them into a bowl, toss with the olive oil and seasoning, and throw them into the air fryer. Since they will be frozen, I would suggest increasing the cooking temperature to 400°F to ensure they are fully cooked and still crispy.
Nope! The potatoes will still be crispy if you don’t soak them, but if you have extra time you let them sit in cold water for about 30 minutes. You will need to completely dry the potatoes off before seasoning them so they do not get mushy.
Be sure that the sweet potatoes are evenly coated in olive oil to ensure they crisp up and cook nicely rather than burning. Another tip is to cut the sweet potatoes as evenly as possible, so that all of the diced potatoes are finished cooking at the same time.
- When you are dicing your sweet potatoes, be sure to use a sharp chef’s knife because they can be very solid and hard to cut.
- It is important to stir or shake the potatoes during the cooking process to ensure all the sides cook evenly.
- Because the sweet potatoes are covered in olive oil, there is no need to spray the air fryer basket before cooking.
- You can replace your spice mix with Italian seasoning if you have that on hand.
How to Make Sweet Potatoes in the Oven
Don’t worry if you don’t own an air fryer! These sweet potatoes can be cooked in the oven for a bit longer and turn out just as delicious.
Preheat your oven to 425°F, and prepare the sweet potatoes in a bowl. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and transfer the sweet potatoes onto the sheet. Cook for about 30-35 minutes in the oven.
Make sure to take the sheet out halfway through to turn them with a spatula, then throw them right back in to finish cooking.
How to Serve
Air fryer sweet potatoes make the perfect side dish to a variety of entrees. They are super easy to make and pair wonderfully with many main dishes such as oven pork chops, baked garlic chicken, or pork loin! Instead of using these sweet potatoes as a side dish only, you can also add them to a breakfast burrito, salad, or taco. These potatoes will be a big hit however you choose to serve them.
More Air Fryer Side Dishes to Consider
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes at 370°F.
- While the air fryer is preheating, toss your sweet potatoes in the olive oil and spices. Make sure your diced potatoes are evenly coated in oil and spices.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to the air fryer basket and cook for 7 minutes at 370°F. Give the potatoes and quick stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
- Air frying these potatoes gives the exteriors a nice crunch while the inside remains soft and tender.
- It is important to stir or shake your potatoes during the cooking process to ensure all sides cook evenly.
- Depending on how big your chunks of potatoes are, you might need to cook them a few minutes longer. Cook until desired doneness.
- You can replace the spice mix with Italian seasoning if you have any.
- Store leftover potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat your potatoes in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute. It’s important to note that reheated sweet potatoes will not have any crunch to them.
- You can freeze your leftover potatoes in a container for up to a month. Reheat your frozen potatoes in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 390°F.
- These potatoes are great on their own as a side dish. You can also add them to a breakfast hash, salad, or taco.